PDF Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Programs

We run older code (S/36) and are in the process of updating to the newer CL/CLE (as an aside consideration). Right now some of the accountants need to use a PDF program to manipulate reports. I am looking at Adobe Pro XI or Nitro Pro 10 one to three licenses. Either one should do the job. Adobe seems to have more functionality but more expensive, Nitro seems to have everything needed and a cheaper price. Any thoughts on using this with our IBM i (7.1 upgrading to 7.2) or other general considerations?

Thank you,
    Rob
    Programmer/Systems Analyst

Re: PDF Programs

Originally posted by RobertHoehle
    We run older code (S/36) and are in the process of updating to the newer CL/CLE (as an aside consideration).
    What does this have to do with PDF manipulation? (I'm not being a smart alek. I'm just trying to understand your question.)

Originally posted by RobertHoehle
    Right now some of the accountants need to use a PDF program to manipulate reports.
    What kind of manipulation do they need to do?

Comment

For no more complex than your spooled files are you can easily get by with the less expensive solution to manipulate the PDF files that you're creating.

I guess my question would be why are you manipulating the data after it's being created rather than just creating the output from the system in the desired format?

Here are some sites / considerations for PDF creation on IBM i:

Convert your spool files to PDF just using functionality available in the IBM i operating system. No third part tools, just native functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by TedHolt View Post
        What does this have to do with PDF manipulation? (I'm not being a smart alek. I'm just trying to understand your question.)

The S/36 was just to get a feel or where we are, not necessarily part of the question (I spend most of my time maintaining the S/36 base). Giving it a type is a bit difficult as I was never given the parameters other than "manipulation." From last I posted it seems that accounting has embraced an older version of Adobe (which is fine with me) that will fill their needs. I am hoping to empower them with modern programs for DBA in the end as that seems to be the real issue.

What kind of manipulation do they need to do?
        I may sound cryptic, but that is as much information as I have received from the accounting department and I'm not asking any more questions if their happy. If Adobe works, that's all that matters to me.

Comment

Originally posted by egami View Post
          For no more complex than your spooled files are you can easily get by with the less expensive solution to manipulate the PDF files that you're creating.

I guess my question would be why are you manipulating the data after it's being created rather than just creating the output from the system in the desired format?

Here are some sites / considerations for PDF creation on IBM i:

http://www.rpgpgm.com/2014/03/creati...ool-files.html
          Since I first posted this, I have seen the IBM i Systems article and that is where I'm on point to move or am hoping to move anyway. The second article looks you mentioned looks promising also. Part of the reason I mentioned S/36 code was that the system is older and in need of a face-lift. The reports need attention, programs need attention, computers need attention, end-users need to to be trained or empowered on how to access information, the list goes on, and I'm just spread too thin to do all of it. Everyday is a learning session and I'm doing my best to keep up, the curve is quite steep.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertHoehle View Post
            Since I first posted this, I have seen the IBM i Systems article and that is where I'm on point to move or am hoping to move anyway. The second article looks you mentioned looks promising also. Part of the reason I mentioned S/36 code was that the system is older and in need of a face-lift. The reports need attention, programs need attention, computers need attention, end-users need to to be trained or empowered on how to access information, the list goes on, and I'm just spread too thin to do all of it. Everyday is a learning session and I'm doing my best to keep up, the curve is quite steep.
            I can relate.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by egami View Post
              I can relate.

- Jeff
              I kinda figured you could!

Comment

The first thing you need to do is make sure you know the requirements - neither Adobe or Nitro will run on S/36 or IBM i - so what are they doing now and how are they accomplishing it - precisely?

Comment

If the accountants need the reports in PDF format, with 7.1 or later, you can simply do a CPYSPLF command with WSCST(*PDF) keyword. You can copy it to a network directory at the same time with the keyword TOSTMF('/shares/accountants/Something_Rpt.pdf'). Then the accountants open it up with any PDF editor and take it from there. I would recommend Adobe.

Comment

If they want to manipulate PDF on their Windows machine check out FoxIt Phantom PDF editor. The have a variety of inexpensive products.

Comment

Since people are still responding: I went with Adobe. Using the full suite for individual use and assigning it as needed is working great. I also bought a few more Acrobat Pro licenses for the accountants and all is well. I will more than likely increase our license pool going forward, but Adobe has worked perfect. The accountants need access to large amounts of DB files, a little beyond SPLF's and that is another topic that I'll post on when I find a good answer, or a better yet, a good question.

As for the S/36 mention I made, I have now been programming in RPG for 9 months (trained in Java originally) and it's going great (except that there is a ton of code to update yet). I love ILE/Free RPG in combination with RDi, and it talks to Java, so I'm all for getting the code base modern ( 'program-driven Fixed-format' is being re-written or written around), but I still have a budget to overcome and a lot of code to write. Since making the transition to RPG, I've attended the Common conference and communicated with Jim Buck, Bryan Meyers (good videos out that go with his book for those looking to brush up on their skills), Aaron Bartell, and many others either I have heard speak or reached out to directly, and I am pleased with being a part of this community. I am looking into Arcad, Linoma, Profound, and Target/400 just to name a few, to update the code base. At this point, I just update what I can where I can. Being a smaller shop, it will just take some time.

Suggestions are always welcome and thanks for the responses. I generally lurk here daily, and all the suggestions and advice are great (although I'm not confident enough to comment on much, I read as much as I can).

Comment

Working...
                      X