Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iNav Debugger Question

Hi,

Looks a decent tool this.. However, how do you assign a library list?

I can run the code in debug but the program is looking for a file in a different library so falls over.

Thanks
    www.midlifegamers.co.uk

Re: iNav Debugger Question

If you like it, have you tried the IBM i Debugger? (Or the System i5 Debugger in earlier releases.) Very similar, apparently made from many of the same components.

In iNav, first thing I would try would be setting the connection's attributes in 'Run SQL Scripts' through the Connection menu. Select 'JDBC Settings...' and set the 'Schema list'. I haven't needed to do that for debugging, so I'm not sure it'll work.

Beyond that, look into Service Entry Points (SEPs). Documentation that references them seems to be removed from current IBM i Knowledge Centers, but the concepts in the RDi documentation generally apply to all system debuggers. They can be set in the iNav debugger, the IBM i debugger and even STRDBG (with the SBREAK debug command; help text describes it).

A SEP can make it easier to debug a running job that already has a library list set.

Of course, RDi makes debugging easier for many developers. I don't have that for my systems; but I do have WDSC from a V5R3 system, and accessing the debugger through it is pretty nice. With WDSC and the IBM i Debugger, I've only rarely needed the i Nav debugger. It's been exclusively for testing from within 'Run SQL Scripts'.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Re: iNav Debugger Question

If you're referring to the Run SQL Script debugger, you also want to set the Naming Convention to *SYS in Connection / JDBC Settings on the Format tab, in order for the library list to be used for locating unqualified objects (those without a specific schema in the SQL). The default setting is Naming Convention = *SQL.

In those same settings, I tend to set a very basic, default library list in the Schema List on the System tab, but most library list control I perform right from the Run SQL Script window, like this:

CL: CHGLIBL LIBL( MY_LIB_1 MY_LIB_2 MY_LIB_3 QTEMP ) CURLIB(*CRTDFT);

In the Run SQL Script window, you can run CL commands by preceding them with CL:

I tend to do work across different library lists, hence the use of the more convenient CHGLIBL command.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X