This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debugging with service entry points

I am using RDI for the first time in about 5 years. The last time I used it, it was still called Websphere Development Studio. The company I work for now (I just started there) has RDI v9.5. Anyway, I am trying to debug a program using a service entry point. I set the SEP by highlighting the program object, selecting Debug or Code Coverage (Service Entry) | Set Service Entry Point. I get a window that says the SEP was set successfully and the program appears in the Service Entry Points panel. However, when I call the program from a 5250 command line, the debugger does not seem to be invoking in RDI
    The only instructions I am using that I found online are for v7.5, so I am wondering if the debugging process is a little different in v9.5. Any idea what I am doing wrong. The program was compiled DEBUGVIEW(*ALL)

Re: Debugging with service entry points

I haven't done much debugging using RDi, but I have some thoughts:

Is the Debug Server job QB5ROUTER running? It is started and stopped by commands STRDBGSVR and ENDDBGSVR.

Are you sure you have set the service entry point on the correct program object? Needs to be the same object in same library

I think the iSeries job where the program is run must be under the same username as the RDi session where you set the service entry point

Comment

Are you compiling the object after you set the entry point? Every time you compile the object you will need to refresh the entry point.

Couple of comments on Vectors advice. If the debug server is not running RDI will prompt you to start it. Very true on making sure the object you are calling is the object the entry point is started on, could you be setting in on a test program but when calling getting a production program due to library lists? You can set the entry point to trigger on a specific user but by default it is the current user in RDI so shouldn't be an issue unless you are setting it in RDI with a different user name from the one you use to call it with.

Also you can check the entry point in the service entry points panel to make sure it is not disabled or something weird like that.

Just my .02 I always just set my entry points in the panel by right clicking and selecting set. That way you just key in your library program name and the rest of the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Vectorspace View Post
        I haven't done much debugging using RDi, but I have some thoughts:

Is the Debug Server job QB5ROUTER running? It is started and stopped by commands STRDBGSVR and ENDDBGSVR.

Are you sure you have set the service entry point on the correct program object? Needs to be the same object in same library

I think the iSeries job where the program is run must be under the same username as the RDi session where you set the service entry point

I am thinking maybe the QB5ROUTER job wan't running at the time I was having this issue. It is now and debugging with service entry points seems to be working OK now.

Comment

Working...
        X