Valence using ExtJS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valence using ExtJS

I may have posted some notes/questions/examples of using the ExtJS toolkit on the iSeries, but these guys have really run with the idea and built an iSeries framework around it. From the looks of the demos and example code it looks pretty slick. Much like Mel did with CGIDEV2, they seem to have taken a lot of the complexity out of the code and created some slick wrappers.

I'm in no way affiliated with these guys, but since I spent about a month on the ExtJS website and stayed up until 2AM most of that time digging and learning ... it was really cool to see what these guys have accomplished. It's a very nice looking application.

Last edited by mjhaston; June 20, 2008, 08:30 AM.
    Your friends list is empty!

Re: Valence using ExtJS

I have a consulting practice in Northwest Louisiana.

I have been working with IBM systems since 1967. I have developed applications on AS400
    now iSeries since 1989. I started with visual development tools since 1996. In 2001 I started
    developing application in PHP database PostgreSQL, MySQL,
    and OS Linux.

There are several RAD tools I use for development for iSeries, Linux and Windows. I am interest in
    connecting with those who have used or are interested in using RAD tool development for
    iSeries, Linux or Windows platforms.

CodeCharge Studio is a visual web application builder and code generator that I use. It provides the
    environment for rapid application development. It is the most productive way to quickly create powerful,
    scalable, and secure web applications. The code generation engine, CodeCharge Studio generates
    professional-level server code in any of the following programming languages: ASP.NET (C# and VB),
    ASP 3.0, PHP4/PHP5, Java Servlets 2.2, JSP 1.1, ColdFusion 4.01, and PERL 5.0.

I use this tool for PHP applications . The link below shows how is works :

Clients using IBM iSeries system I use WebSmart IDE tools for development.
    below is a link to shows how it works:.

When I work with HTML in the IDE of Websmart I use a external
    tool I have had for quit a while, since 5.5 version It now up to Webeditor 8.
    this shows how the tool works.

I have complete converting a client from system/36 running on AS400 to http Apache running on iSeries and
    WebSmart applications and Nexus Portal. I am in the processing of converting another client from green screens
    to Apache on iSeries running WebSmart applicatications.

I have a clients running on a iSeries(AS400) with HTTP Apache Server using BCD Websmart applications that
    I converted from a AS400 running System/36 Apps.

I am in the process of converting a Medical Billing company from IBM Green Screen applications to Web Applications.
    They have a IBM iSeries model 800 with a staff of 11 people processing medical billing for several medical practices.
    They have several practices online using VPN routers with PC's connected through that connection. I provide
    complete support and interface their existing and new clients, import their history from other services they are on.

I have not used BCD's WebSmart PHP. I have installed PHP on my iSeries 270 V5R4 – Apache Zend Server 5.0
    and MySQL. My PC environment is Windows XP Pro IE 8 Apache/2.2.4 (Win32) PHP/5.3.1 MySQL 5.1.41
    CodeCharge Studio version 4.3.00.54, XAMPP.

I received a e-mail from System I Info, RPG takes another leap forward... Valence 2.1 is here!

After looking at the announcement I downloaded Valence and installed it on my 270 for evaluation.

I am trying to figure out a way to replace green screens with a low cost option that will not lock me into a platform or tool in case the tool company goes out of business or becomes discontinued or something. I am evaluating Websmart PHP because it was interesting that it could create PHP for IIS or Iseries. My initial plan is to build all front end in some web tool and leave all the backend on the Iseries that way if I choose PHP and needed to switch it is just screens that I need to migrate into the new thing.

Pricing wise, Rational is expensive, slow and not very intuitive. Websmart is good but adds license cost to clients.

I have Private Trucking Company, 9406 model 170 processor 2290 installed with 8GB. All their applications are in RPGII, flat files, OCL with a vary little CL on V4R5 running old RPGII green screens that I will be making a Proposal after I determine the direction I want to recommend as a go forward strategy.

Comment

Have you worked with CGIDEV2? I've done quite a bit with that toolkit. You can really do a lot actually with CGIDEV2, MMAIL and POI.

Even though I've used CGIDEV2 quite a bit, I think if I could choose the route I'd like to go in the future it would be using ExtJS itself. You can load data into the ExtJS applications with JSON (via RPG, PHP, XML). Being an RPG programmer and dealing with subfiles all these years, it's amazing to be able to get a grid with searches and filters working with very little code.
      Last edited by mjhaston; March 11, 2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I have not worked with CGIDEV2. I considered it but I need to stay with RAD tools that are multiple platform as well as multiple database. With all my development I create Overviews and document business logic as part of the application. When I picked the new client they were on a small iSeries 170 V5R4 with no IBM support except maintenance on the 170 itsself. I am evaluating any alternative that would save them from the requirement to buy a new iSeries as well as provide a platform independant solution.

The clients that I have used WebSmart to convert to Web Applications have been quicker to develop because of the WebSmart IDE RAD tool. In about a minute you can generate a web application that will add, change, delete from a list of records that can be searched or filtered with no codeing. I know what you mean about amazing. I am a old programmer/consultant from way back and I think the new tools and platforms are just that... amazing

Comment

In about a minute you can generate a web application that will add, change, delete from a list of records that can be searched or filtered with no codeing.

Check out the Valence demo then. They do something similar. Pretty cool.

Comment

Just a quick note. I just started out with ExtJS last week to mock up a new web application. I need few things that aren't currently out there with ExtJS, but I've already solved one of them. You can see a live example of my first plugin here, and get download a drop in example from here. Unzip the example into the ExtJS framework's examples folder and you are on your way.

I will be working on a plugin that will allow for a Grid Summary for the LockingColumn grid. I'll post back when its finished. You can also find the official forum posts on the ExtJS forums where i'll be monitoring for support requests.

I have really like ExtJS so far, its pretty, its clean, and very robust.
            Your future President
            Bryce

---------------------------------------------
            http://www.bravobryce.com

Comment

Why are we comparing ExtJS to CGIDEV2? CGIDEV2 is just a template based program to output web pages and ExtJS is a client side UI framework. Two different tools for two different jobs. There would be nothing to stop you writing an application using both!

I took a brief look at ExtJS but there were a number of things I wasn't keen on. The first problem is that it looks like it relies on an Internet connection to download content. This is fine if you are building a public website but we build Intranet based applications that need to work if the Internet connection goes down. The second problem was the dual licensing. If you are building something open source then you can use ExtJS for free but if you are not releasing your application as open source then you need to pay for a license. Our applications are built on an open source framework which could use ExtJS freely but the applications we build with our framework are not free so we would need to purchase licenses. Worse than that it looks like anyone that wanted to use our framework for free would have to buy an ExtJS license.

I looked at quite a few of these frameworks and my favourite was jQuery. It's free, cross browser, robust, fast and works well with other JavaScript frameworks.
              Ben

Comment

Ben,
                Just to clarify a few things...

ExtJS does not require an internet connection. You can use it from a CDN if you wish, but you can just as easily download the ExtJS framework and put it on a local machine. I have it set up on my machine.

I too like the jQuery framework, I have been using it for a couple of years now. But there are certain instances where ExtJS surpasses jQuery. One of these areas is the use of Grids. There are a few plugins for jQuery to handle Grids but they all do the same thing. Fixed table header, sort columns, paging, a few do live scrolling to load data, field entry. Almost any Grid worth anything has these features these days. The most robust Grid for jQuery is jqGrid. Its themeroller ready and has more features than any other jQuery grid. But, it still didn't have everything I needed and isn't easily extended. ExtJS is set up on the idea of classes so you can extend and create plugins fairly easy. I have one more feature to get working and I will have everything that I need for this next project. I would not even be close with jQuery at this point.

As far as licensing goes... do you guys make donations to jQuery? If I'm going to create a framework that piggy backs on the extremely hard work for others then why not pony up the cash to support the effort? If you create something using ExtJS and don't release it publicly then I'm not sure that you need to get a license. All the frameworks have their ups and downs and if you are going to choose one framework over another based on licensing over a couple hundred or even a thousand dollars then you aren't doing justice to the features of the frameworks and something tells me you just want things for free. Are your programs that you deliver to customers open source? If your framework that you sell is open source I don't think you need an ExtJS license.
                Your future President
                Bryce

Comment

Regarding the licensing:

We have a multi-tiered application architecture. One of the tiers consists of an open source framework that we created and maintain. Anyone can visit our website and download this framework under the Mozilla Public License. At the time it was made open source I did quite a bit of research on licenses. MPL was the best bet for us because it allows people to use our framework to create non-OSS applications that they can charge for. The only proviso is that any enhancements they make to the framework they share with the community.

ExtJS has a dual license policy. Firstly they use the common GPL license. This is quite a popular license but not everybody appreciates what it means. If you write any software that includes a GPL open source component then you are bound to release your software freely under the GPL as well. This is the reason why we decided not to go for the GPL ourselves. We didn't want adopters of our framework to have to release their applications as open source because it severely limits what they can use our framework for.

As I said ExtJS has a dual license policy. They do allow you to use it without releasing your product under the GPL if you purchase developer licenses. This would add up to thousands of dollars for us but the money isn't the real issue. I believe it would mean that anybody downloading our framework would then have to consider this dual license themselves. They would either have to give their product away or stump up thousands of dollars, which is what we were trying to avoid when we chose the MPL license.

jQuery allow you to either use the GPL or MIT licenses. The MIT license is very similar to the MPL license in that it allows you to use the framework without imposing restrictions about whether your product is OSS etc.

Regarding ponying up:
                  It's a bit cheeky to say that we just want something for free when we have given a substantial amount of "extremely hard work" to the community completely free of charge ourselves. Not only that but we have carefully chosen a suitable license to allow people to use our framework freely as they wish without imposing GPL style restrictions. We make money by charging for the applications written using this framework and others are free to do the same.

I would strongly suggest to anybody thinking about using an open source component that they take the time to read up on the licenses. The GPL license in particular is described as a "viral" license because anything it touches automatically becomes GPL itself! That's why you will quite often see multiple licenses in use where the developer picks the license that fits best.
                  Ben

Comment

Sorry about the ponying up bit. It was not true in your case I'm sure. Its just something I've been seeing a lot of lately.

If you buy OEM license from ExtJS your customers are not bound by the GPL license. There is a special license for framework developers. I think that if you bought an OEM license and sold your product to your customers and they then sold a derivative work they would only have to follow your license. If you really want to find out I would email licensing@extjs.com. I emailed them about a copyright question I had for the plugin I created/adapted. They got back to me in under 6 hours.

I agree that the GPL is quite restrictive, you just need to remember the people that created it and why. ExtJS uses the GPL3 currently. Check out this link, I think you guys are covered... http://www.extjs.com/products/floss-exception.php
                    Your future President
                    Bryce

Comment

Working...
                    X