ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best gui replacement for STRSQL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best gui replacement for STRSQL?

I'm looking for a program that allows me to do things like click fields or drag/drop them instead of having to type them, and allows saving the sql text, changing it via gui or running it and seeing the results.

Strsql is pretty clunky, data studio is free....

I'm hoping to get better at sql. I used to be real good with query.

Tell me what are my BEST options, please?

Re: What is the best gui replacement for STRSQL?

Hi!

System i Navigator seems like a good alternative if you dislike STRSQL.
    If you use RDi, you may also want to consider using QuantumDB.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Liam. It isn't that I "dislike" the old STRSQL, its just that they never improved its user interface, so I'm looking for something more efficient.

I did get msQuery with ODBC drivers working yesterday, so that's a step in the right direction. If I can get the System Navigator to work, I will give it a try, and I'm wanting to learn the RDi anyway, so it looks like the QuantumDB might be a good choice, especially since it appears to be able to work with many databases.

Comment

I use a variety. I still use strsql for basic things, it is very quick and can prompt for quick scripts.

I use navigator only for generating sql and then making basic changes and running the script again. I don't really like it for writing statements from scratch.

For more advanced statements I use squirrel sql. It is platform independent so if you have to work with another database it can do it.

I have been wanting to try an RDI plugin just have not had time to really look into them.

Comment

There is Database Development in RDi which is a dumbed down version of data studio. It is really good. Data studio is even better and is free from ibm.

Comment

IF you're looking for tools like Query and MS Query, then I don't think "Run SQL Scripts" (the SQL interface in i Navigator) or "STRSQL" arent the right tool for you -- these are intended for people running raw SQL statements.

Instead, you might try DB2 Web Query, or STRQM (Query Manager) or one of the commercial tools out there (there are many.) There are also some free tools like BIRT and Squirrel out there, but not as good as the commercial ones.
            Last edited by Scott Klement; July 9, 2015, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I like Linoma's Surveyor tool. It's free for one user and does all kinds of things in addition to SQL (work with IFS, work with spoolfiles, file editing, show database relations, etc.). It keeps the history of my SQL statements and I can save those scripts that I want to save, and also export the resulting records to Excel or a csv, etc.

Comment

http://sqldeveloper.solyp.com/

Free. Just enter in a connection string and your good to go. shows fields, can save and rerun scripts.
                ex of a string; jdbc:as400://192.168.15.11;translate binary=true;transaction isolation=none;libraries=JDASYS,MM760CTL,MM760LIB, FD760PGM,MM760PGM,MM760SRC,QGPL;naming=system
                This is done unter the Basic "tab" and uses the as400 jdbcdriver.
                Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Originally posted by DeadManWalks View Post
                  http://sqldeveloper.solyp.com/

Free. Just enter in a connection string and your good to go. shows fields, can save and rerun scripts.
                  ex of a string; jdbc:as400://192.168.15.11;translate binary=true;transaction isolation=none;libraries=JDASYS,MM760CTL,MM760LIB, FD760PGM,MM760PGM,MM760SRC,QGPL;naming=system
                  This is done unter the Basic "tab" and uses the as400 jdbcdriver.
                  Hey, Dead Man.

Can you elaborate on this? I click on Databases and select the Basic tab and I don't see any place to put a connection string.

Comment

Never mind, Dead Man. I figured it out. Thanks for letting us know about SqlDeveloper. I'm looking forward to learning how to use it.

Comment

Advanced Query Tool, which can be found at www.querytool.com, is very nice. It's not free.

Comment

I've installed and configured most jdbc SQL clients to the IBM i.

My preference is Squirrel SQL for so many reasons it is hard to name them all, but overall in the last 15 years it is probably my most used application. All SQL development occurs in Squirrel before migrating SQL code to compiled HLL programs.

Jim

Comment

I downloaded Quantum DB and Squirrel so far. The head apps guy said not to use navigator for fear I might click and drag something to the wrong place.

I have no budget for this at all, so need to get a free tool to help me. I will try to give each on the above list a try.

Its kind of wild being a "Rip Van Winkle" and missing 10 years and then coming back...

Comment

Originally posted by bobc_00001
                            I'm looking for a program that allows me to do things like click fields or drag/drop them instead of having to type them, and allows saving the sql text, changing it via gui or running it and seeing the results.
                            You are aware that it's not necessary to "type" names of columns into STRSQL statements, right? Tables and columns can be listed and selected from the list pretty easily. Sessions can be saved into a source member, and past statements stay in your history until you clear it out (or create additional histories) and can be recalled for modification or re-execution. But I understand what you mean as far as "clunky" goes when compared to a clean GUI implementation.

Does anyone here have reasonably current info about FROG? I never had a good chance to look it over. Still available? Still useful?
                            Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
                              Does anyone here have reasonably current info about FROG? I never had a good chance to look it over. Still available? Still useful?
                              I have the source and the binary for FROG. I got them from Jonas Temple after he had to move on to other pursuits. We use FROG daily where I work.

I would love to enhance it and fix a few bugs, but I still have not had the time to deal with it. It's written in Euphoria, which appears to me to be a great language, but I have not had time to learn it. Also, Jonas told me that he had to make some changes to some libraries that he used, and I would need to get the new versions of those libraries and apply the same changes.

I would love to see someone take FROG and set it up as an open-source project on GitHub. Again, it's not something I have time to do.

If anybody wants the binary, let me know. I can be contacted thru the contacts page at itjungle.com. http://www.itjungle.com/contactus.html
                              Last edited by TedHolt; June 13, 2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X