ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best gui replacement for STRSQL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the best gui replacement for STRSQL?

Can you click fields to build the sql statement text somehow in data studio? Maybe I don't have it setup right?

Comment

It seems everyone has a favorite, and I'm no exception. I've used RazorSQL for a number of years, and since it has a huge list of databases it supports, I stick with it. I also sometimes use Data Studio as well just for a change of pace, but Razor is a great tool.

Comment

Boy, Squirrel is tough to get working. I've installed and uninstalled a bunch of times, but can't figure out how to get the driver to work.

I can see in Data Studio that I have the as400 driver, but don't know how to configure squirrel to use it. Trying to install this time as administrator, but I don't really think that was the problem. Since I didn't install this pc from scratch I don't know what is loaded or where.

I also tried Sqldeveloper, but the driver pulldown is empty. It didn't like that, so I tried putting in as400, but that resulted in a message box connecting database with text saying class 'as400' not found.

If only I could figure out what's loaded...

On both RDi 9.0 and Data Studio 4.0 I see a driver called: AS/400 Toolbox for Java Default

I see a connect string of: jdbc:as400:iseries-development;prompt=false

Logically, it appears its not finding that driver, but I don't see any files with that name on the drive. I'm guessing its not where it is expected to be or not looking in the right place...

I solved it but what I did made little sense. I searched C: for jt* by date and found some stuff in C:\Program Files\IBM\SDPShared\plugins and picked the jt400 and it seems to like that.

Typical, LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, BTW. Hopefully I'll get something working

PS: I used what I learned to try to get Squirrel running, but it still had troubles, and finally I downloaded the Toolbox for Java/JTOpen and installed it separately, and then things worked for Squirrel, for some strange reason.

Also tried RDi.

Still none of them seem to be able to build the select statement for me (ie like MSQuery or Access or even like STRSQL). Maybe I'm not doing it right?
        Last edited by bobc_00001; July 5, 2015, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Here is the form you have to fill out to get SQL developer working.

Also is a pic showing that you can see fields on a table, though you still have to type.
          Attached Files
          Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

SQuirreL isn't a drag-n-drop query builder.

Comment

Yes, my preference would be a "drag and drop" query builder that generates the SQL as well to learn it from.

I am working 12 to 15 hr days and need to FIGHT the SQL every day just to get things done, and I'm under the gun ALL the time trying to put out fires and would be best served if I wasn't trying to keep myself from screaming at it. Today, I was conjuring data from a dozen files, trying to fix a mess left by a program that blanked out Customer PO numbers early in the order to shipping process, fixing ASN's trying by putting subset data in a separate library, and then patching in the correct PO number in all the files needed via SQL so I could then regenerate the EDI output after creating a CL to drive it. That isn't something easy to do correctly for someone that never did a lot of iSeries SQL before.

Comment

Jasper/iReports is really much more, but it also serves as a decent SQL drop-and-drag query builder, if you want it to. You would have to use SQL naming, not system naming of course. And it used to choke on column names that have a "#" in them, don't know if they've fixed that.

Comment

Ouch man. You are asking a lot out a free program. There are plenty of pay ones that do this.

good luck with 15 hour days.
                  Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
                  X