Noon-to-noon special value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noon-to-noon special value

This is a just-wondering question, but I may need this before too long.

I like to use special values for parameters in commands and programs. For example, for a date field, I might allow a special value of TODAY, *CURRENT, *CURDATE, etc. to tell the program to retrieve the current date from the system.

To tell the system to use the date of the day before, I might use a value like YESTERDAY or *PRIOR or something.

Let’s say I have an overnight job stream where a program could start running before or after midnight, e.g. at 11:50 PM or 12:02 AM. What would be a good special value to use to mean “if the current time is after noon, use today’s date, otherwise use yesterday’s date”?

Would expanding the special value to include an offset solve the problem?

Code:
    Run Date:
    Date . . . . . *CURRENT Date
    Offset . . . . -12 Hours

A job submitted at 11:50 PM would run with the current date and a job submitted at 12:02 AM would run with yesterday's date.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, 10.

I have done that sort of thing in the past. C could mean current date, C-1 might mean 1 day ago (yesterday), C-7 (a week ago), C+1 (tomorrow), that sort of thing. I don't really want to get into programming to calculate an offset. I just want a value I can compare to.

I thought about NOONTONOON, but it's too long (dates are usually 8 characters in unedited ISO format) and it's not intuitive.

Comment

How about YESTB412 or YSTB4NOON or B4NOONYEST or NOONSPCL

Comment

Working...
        X