ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article about politics being injected into open source.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article about politics being injected into open source.

Interesting article about alarming development of politics being injected into open source.

For example, you must agree to a developer's political statement for software to function. I put that in the nuisance category. Another example mentioned is because of the political views of the developer files are deleted based on geolocated IP addresses. I put that in the unethical/nefarious category.

First of all I need the preface this article on how much I abhor the Russian invasion of Ukraine and I wholeheartedly support the sanctions. However, I think the conflict has spilled over into areas of software development that have got some unintended consequences attached. As part of this post, I’m going to look at the decision by MongoDB to cut off services in Russia the destructive change in a node library that deleted files on Russian IPs a change in code/licence in a community terraform module to assert that Putin is a dickhead MongoDB cutting off Russian customers MongoDB is a company and in order to comply with sanctions they have decided to cut off Russian customers.

Like the article says -- technically it's not open source if they do that.

Comment

Working...
    X