Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IPL Your Career

Tom,

I thought the the article was great. If you have the time to write more articles, definitely do

Comment

Tom...
      THis may come as a shocker but I am not a reader....
      Im a avid member of http://www.audible.com/ (cause I can semi listen).
      But that said I read youre entire article, agreed with most of it
      and can actually say I enjoyed it......
      I give my vote of "YES" for you to keep writing!

jamie
      All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
      and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
        Tom...
        THis may come as a shocker but I am not a reader....
        Im a avid member of http://www.audible.com/ (cause I can semi listen).
        i prefer reading...i can't stand audio "books" but that's just me
        I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Tom,

I thought it REALLY sucked! Sheesh .. all those BIG words and commas and periods and stuff! I had to pull out a dictionary just so I'd know what you meant by "de facto" and "parsing" and all those other secret code phrases! NOT TO MENTION the fact that "you know who" is probably going to cancel your membership to his website now that you referenced his arch nemesis! How DARE you!!! *GASP*

------

Seriously though, I thought you had a well thought out agenda with your article. There's an easy transition into each topic, several examples and references to support your point of view. Great job!!

I would suggest something like a series -- get your readers *expecting* the next article. Maybe you could expound on each area you define with some coding examples or common *real world* use of each instance.

Just a thought...

Kudos big guy!

Comment

Originally posted by FaStOnE View Post
            NOT TO MENTION the fact that "you know who" is probably going to cancel your membership to his website now that you referenced his arch nemesis! How DARE you!!! *GASP*

I would suggest something like a series -- get your readers *expecting* the next article. Maybe you could expound on each area you define with some coding examples or common *real world* use of each instance.
            as much as i tend to post what i think...i'm surprised i haven't already been banned

for cover stories, it's all article no code. i might accidentally do something on a service program i'm fiddling with that uses the itext java library to produce those pretty oooo, ahhh PDFs

Comment

Tom:

You unquestionably have the talent the only question is ..... do you have the time and the drive? That's something only you can determine.

Best of Luck
              GLS
              The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Your safe with me...just not sure what that drunken souse AS400PRO will do......He is on a long...long leash
                All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
                and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
                  Your safe with me...just not sure what that drunken souse AS400PRO will do......He is on a long...long leash
                  i would say use a choke collar and a short chain but he might like that

Comment

BTW I read it and I don't often do that ~ Nice job.

Comment

Pure plaigarism though Tom, had to be, there wasn't even one "Y'all" in there, that was written by an edderkated northerner I bet !

Nice read tho ...
                      Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Originally posted by gcraill View Post
                        Pure plaigarism though Tom, had to be, there wasn't even one "Y'all" in there, that was written by an edderkated northerner I bet !

Nice read tho ...
                        duh...i thought it was spelled play-jerry-ism...and i R edjumakated thank y'ouns very much!

Comment

I thought the article was written well but found the subject matter a bit frustrating. I left university with a wide range of programming skills including Java, J2EE, C, PHP, VB6, VB.net, XHTML, CSS and JavaScript. I have worked on projects where I have committed to doing something in a new language/framework and then had to go away and learn it before I could actually code it. Learning a range of different languages has given me the experience and confidence to be able to try out new languages and tools and know that I can probably pick it up.

However, acquiring these skills and being able to use them is another thing. I mostly have no choice over which language or framework I get to use at work. Learning new syntax, though it scares a lot of AS400 programmers, is actually pretty easy. What takes time is learning the nuances and best practices of each language or framework. This is the kind of thing that you only get from the experience gleaned from regular use.

So I have a bit of a "catch 22". I already have quite a wide skill set but knowing a syntax and commercial experience are two different things. I have the skills but I can't use them and nobody is interested in me using them because I don't have the commercial experience required.

I'm trying to work on some stuff at home to rectify this but it's hard to find time with so much other stuff going on.
                          Ben

Comment

However, acquiring these skills and being able to use them is another thing. I mostly have no choice over which language or framework I get to use at work. Learning new syntax, though it scares a lot of AS400 programmers, is actually pretty easy. What takes time is learning the nuances and best practices of each language or framework. This is the kind of thing that you only get from the experience gleaned from regular use.
                            Welcome to the as/400 world! What other computer industry magazine would be urging it's readers to learn something "new" like HTML (born 1991) and SQL(available on S/38 in 1979).

To get started try offering your services free to local bowling club or baseball league. It gives you better motivation, deadlines and critical users to push you to learn stuff that you might not otherwise look at.

Comment

Originally posted by itp View Post
                              Welcome to the as/400 world! What other computer industry magazine would be urging it's readers to learn something "new" like HTML (born 1991) and SQL(available on S/38 in 1979).
                              This is so true! It's tragic really.
                              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BenThurley View Post
                                So I have a bit of a "catch 22". I already have quite a wide skill set but knowing a syntax and commercial experience are two different things. I have the skills but I can't use them and nobody is interested in me using them because I don't have the commercial experience required.

I'm trying to work on some stuff at home to rectify this but it's hard to find time with so much other stuff going on.
                                but you can at least read the code and get an idea of how the process works, the platform/framework that it runs on and are better equipped to interface between the IBM "i" and the other platforms, etc. which was also one of the points. even if you don't have the time/opportunity to use the skills you'll at least be better able to understand what the best methods, etc can be used to do interfacing, etc. it's not all about just coding. if that wasn't clear then i must not have conveyed everything i had hoped.

Comment

Working...
                                X