How to configure a local printer using lp5250d to print my spool files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure a local printer using lp5250d to print my spool files

I just installed tn5250 on my Windows 10 desktop because IBM i Access doesn't support Windows 10. Now I tried to configure the tn5250rc file. It seems I need to do CRTDEVPRT first, but I am lost on the parameters for Device class, Device type and Device model. My HP Officejet 3833 is the printer connects with WIFI. Please help me to finish the printer configuration. Many thanks.

Since IBM released Access Client Solutions (ACS) several years ago, and since it's written in Java and is cross-platform, it's very rare to see someone using tn5250 or lp5250d.

Also, since your printer connects with WiFi... why would you use lp5250d? Why wouldn't you just configure the IBM i to print directly via the network to your device instead of going through a Windows PC?

That said, assuming you want to use lp5250d, people don't normally run CRTDEVPRT. Instead, they let the system auto-configure the device. What you do is set up environment settings in your tn5250rc that tell it how the printer is meant to work, and then when the system automatically creates the virtual device, it creates it with the parameters that you've put into the environment settings.

It's been about 10 years since I've set one up, but I can try to figure it out if you really need this... are you sure you want to use lp5250d? If so, what operating system is lp5250d running on? (Typically it'd either be Windows or Linux.)

Comment

Hi Scott,

I installed the ACS on my Windows 10. After the configuration of the printer, the system created a printer I named. But when I sent the spool file to the new printer, the Print job was shown None. Nothing prints. If I could make it working on ACS, it is equally good.

As the virtual printed has already been created, I was trying to modify tn5250rc to run "lp5250d asciiprint" in the command prompt of Windows 10 Pro.

Inside the tn5250rc, the printer section is:
      asciiprint{
      host = pub400.com
      env.DEVNAME = HCPRT
      outputcommand = scs2ascii | lpr
      }

HCPRT is created by ACS print session I configured before.

I got the error "Call to OpenPrinter() failed, Maybe you don't have a printer called "scs2ascii | lpr". I am not sure about this part, though.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by hongchengca View Post
        I installed the ACS on my Windows 10. After the configuration of the printer, the system created a printer I named. But when I sent the spool file to the new printer, the Print job was shown None. Nothing prints. If I could make it working on ACS, it is equally good.
        What do you mean by "Print job was shown None"? Can you explain that better? I have no idea what you are referring to.

Originally posted by hongchengca View Post
        As the virtual printed has already been created, I was trying to modify tn5250rc to run "lp5250d asciiprint" in the command prompt of Windows 10 Pro.

Inside the tn5250rc, the printer section is:
        asciiprint{
        host = pub400.com
        env.DEVNAME = HCPRT
        outputcommand = scs2ascii | lpr
        }
        scs2ascii|lpr is a Linux command. You can't run that on Windows 10!!

Please look at the manual that was installed with TN5250. See Chapter 4 that explains how to configure lp5250d.

Comment

Working...
        X