Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyview

Hi,

We are considering moving from Gauss Spyview to IBM Content Mgr On Demand. One of the first things we would need to do is to figure out how to get our documents with the indexes out of Spyview. I guess on order to do this, we would need to know what DB files contain the indexes and how they are used.

I am wondering if anyone can give me a starting point as documentation is slim. Does Spyview have a way of getting this info automatically? Are there any api's I could use.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Spyview

better to contact the vendor.....the images are stored in batch within the library spyfolders...... in tables in ascii...... not really sure how to convert to
    another system.

jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jamie,

I dont think the vendor will help much to move things out of his product. It's my understanding that there are some contractors who were involved in the design of Spyview that do this, but they charge an arm and leg....

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Dog View Post
        Thanks for the reply Jamie,

I dont think the vendor will help much to move things out of his product. It's my understanding that there are some contractors who were involved in the design of Spyview that do this, but they charge an arm and leg....
        Hi
        If you still have a need to export images, please email me. I've exported images from SpyView on many occaisions.

Cheers
        Barry

Last edited by DMS4U; June 23, 2009, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Hopefully Prairie Dog has been able to solve this issue since 2007 !
          Philippe

Comment

Yeah, there was no source but I was able to reverse engineer it. However, there were some indexing problems as well as other problems inherent to Spyview. We had the programmers at Guass help out but it didnt do any good. Since we have to keep the documents for x years, we are just keeping what we had in there until the time expires but have been going forward using Content Manager.

Thanks for the reply....

Comment

Originally posted by Prairie Dog View Post
              Yeah, there was no source but I was able to reverse engineer it. However, there were some indexing problems as well as other problems inherent to Spyview. We had the programmers at Guass help out but it didnt do any good. Since we have to keep the documents for x years, we are just keeping what we had in there until the time expires but have been going forward using Content Manager.

Thanks for the reply....
              Hi,

This is a real shot in the dark on many levels, but I'm tasked with dealing with exactly the issue you faced in this thread. If there's anything you could give me on what you found out in your project I would be deeply appreciative.

Thanks,
              Steve

Comment

Hi Steve

I'm an expert at exporting data from SpyView / Gauss DocManager. I can help with this, however you need to know that this is how I earn my living, so there arn't any free tips...

email me at barry.rivett@dms4u.co.uk if you want to explore this.

Cheers
                Barry

Comment

Originally posted by scxy1234 View Post
                  Hi,

This is a real shot in the dark on many levels, but I'm tasked with dealing with exactly the issue you faced in this thread. If there's anything you could give me on what you found out in your project I would be deeply appreciative.

Thanks,
                  Steve
                  Hi Steve, If you need more info than below, I could probably get some but it would have to be over the weekend...

What we did was extract the document(.TIF, .DOC, .eml, etc) from spyview and create a corresponding

xml that contained the Doclinks for that document and put them in the ifs.

There is a EXPOBJSPY command in the Spyview library that exports the document based on Report Type,

filter criteria and a date range into the ifs. The command retrives everything for the criteria at one time so I had to loop to create my xml's individually first, the run the command. Below is the command embedded in my

program.

For x = 1 to FA;
                  qcmd = 'EXPOBJSPY OBJTYPE(*DOCLINK) '+
                  'OBJ('+%trim(RptType)+') ' +
                  'CRITERIA(' +%trim( FilterArray(x) )+ ') '+
                  'DATERANGE('+CharUSA+' '+CharUSA+ ') '+
                  'PATH('+%trim(ifspath)+') '+
                  'REPLACE(*YES) '+
                  'LISTFILE() ' +
                  'SBMJOB(*NO)';

monitor;
                  Qcmdexc(Qcmd : %Len(%Trim(Qcmd)));
                  on-error;
                  ERRTYP = 'Export';
                  ERRSUBRTN = 'ExpDoc';
                  EQCMD = %trim(Qcmd);
                  exsr Errors;
                  endmon;
                  EndFor;

Another department was responsable for getting those from the ifs to Content Manager so I can't help

with that part.

Comment

PD, could you help ol' Barry out and take down that free tip?

Click image for larger version

Name:	260px-Gil.gif
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	126440

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      PD, could you help ol' Barry out and take down that free tip?
                      Barry, People here help me out all the time, gotta pay it forward when I can.

Besides, I thought that what this forum was all about, not "Email me and I'll give you an answer for a price"

Comment

Guys....

I suspect that unlike me, you draw a salary from a company... comfy I'm sure, but me, I only eat when I solve peoples problems.... and you soon learn not to give away your paycheck for free.

I welcome people to share knowledge around the world, some is good, some isn't so good. PD's method will work well in some scenarios and on some versions of Spy.

In the case of SpyView data exports, there are several solutions, some use existing tools, some require special custom tools. Some work well for data stored on optical platters, others are painfull. As the age old quote goes "There's nothing more expensive than saving money"... Not always true... but sometimes VERY true.

If there was a simple answer such as might be delivered by the SpyView tech support team, then I'd give that away... In this case there certainly isn't... experience of over 200 installs tells me this.

I'm 100% upfront that this is how I make a living and people need not contact me if they don't want to operate on that basis. Surely it's better that people know there is another option available if they can't solve it themselves ?

Barry

Comment

Barry,

Sometimes a company will reduce a price so low, as to draw in customers.
                          I believe this works as I have gone in for the 2 - 10 pack of hotdogs for $2 and left with a
                          shopping cart FULL!

just a thought.. Enjoy the weekend
                          Jamie
                          All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
                          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by DMS4U View Post
                            I'm 100% upfront that this is how I make a living and people need not contact me if they don't want to operate on that basis. Surely it's better that people know there is another option available if they can't solve it themselves ?
                            I agree with Barry here, he's not spamming the lists to advertise himself, but replied to someone he could help. But as he said 100% up front about the business side of his offer, and he asked for a private email to take any discussions offline. Makes a pleasant change from the in your face spammers we get time to time.
                            Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Working...
                            X