Crazy spool file question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy spool file question

Has anyone ever heard of a utility that can split up a spool file into multiple, smaller ones?

We have Acom to print out AR statements. The statement spool file is over 2,500 pages.

Acom can do the forms merge ok and print them... but I am having trouble using it to merge the statements with the form and EMAIL it as one giant PDF file.

After the statements are printed, I would like to merge it again and save them all as a PDF file so that our AR Manager can use it as a rude and crude imaging system.

She actually prints out a SECOND copy of all of the statements and puts them in the file room "just in case" someone calls and wants another copy.

Re: Crazy spool file question

Why not create PDF for each customer statement, just open and close the spool file when you have a new customer. Direct Ezprint to name the pdf spool file as a meaningful name, like customer number/name & statement date. (easy finding then). Place if on the IFS or a server in statement folder for the fiscal year. or whatever you want to do.

Then your A/R manager now has doms document imaging system and can find a customer's statement(s) for as long as you want to archive them.

Now you can even tie them to the customer inquiry green screen and provide a link to display a selected customer's statement if they so desire right from green screen..

wow the possibilities are endless and valuable.

Good Luck
    Bill
    Bill
    "A good friend will bail you out of jail,
    A true friend would be sitting beside you saying,
    'Wow, that was fun.'"

Comment

What you're talking about is referred to as "intelligent bursting" of reports. Basically, a program reads through your spooled file looking for a special code sequence in the data on the page. When the code sequence changes, the program takes everything for a given code sequence and copies it to a new, separate spooled file.

There are several products that perform this function, but AFAIK none of them are free. If you want more info, you can give me a call. You have my number.

Michael
      KS2
      "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I haven't forgotten about this and want to figure something out still.

This is a back burner project for us and hopefully I can block out a half day to focus on it more.

Comment

Working...
        X