ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extracting Information Created by Reports...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting Information Created by Reports...

Not sure if this is in the right place but I have a question for anyone out there. I have been trying with no avail to access our AS400 database and retrieve information such as inventory. When I ODBC into the database all I get is useless information in the tables. The company that setup the database has it locked down. There are passwords protecting the main files that no one seems to know. Basically all I can do is create reports, but I want the information held in the reports. I am currently using VBA in Access for this project, but am willing to change. I had attempted to telnet via code into the database, make it log in, and view the report. But not even that was working right. Can anyone help? Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Extracting Information Created by Reports...

CPYSPLF into a flat file and read that in your VB script
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

I hope for you the files aren't crypted.
      Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by label1cc View Post
        When I ODBC into the database all I get is useless information in the tables.
        Could you elaborate on that statement, please? What do you mean by "useless information"?

The company that setup the database has it locked down. There are passwords protecting the main files that no one seems to know. Basically all I can do is create reports...
        Do your users have user profiles and passwords that they use to signon to an emulation session to access the data through applications that run on the server? Those same user profiles should be able to access the data through ODBC.

What are you trying to accomplish, here?
        "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Here is an article that talks about simple AS/400 "report mining"

If this is something you are going to be doing on a regular basis there are commercial programs available or you could use a CL program using CPYSPLF and CPYTOPCD statements to copy the spoolfile over to a file in the integrated file system.

-JA
          Introducing The IBM i and AS/400 Training That 100% Guarantees You Will Learn Key Administration Tasks...

Comment

Working...
          X