• Please help.! I want to list my records on monitor

hi,
    I need to list my records for example;

Name surname
    john smith
    ian clerance
    james hetfield

I want to list them on screen
    but I dont want to use subfiles. Do I have any alternative solution about that. Thanks for all help

Re: Please help.! I want to list my records on monitor

ummm...what's wrong with using a subfile? this is exactly what they were created for...
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

There is an SLNO for Display files. You turn it on and use a variable to tell it what line to start at for the output.

But, I'm with Tom here... why not use Subfiles?

Comment

we are a group team in our business. My friend made his program with subfiles. I want to try different solution for learning different things. Thats why I dont wanna use subfiles. You said SLNO files. DO you have any examples about it. How can I use SLNO in COBOL/400. THanks for all your help again.

Comment

The display file manual may be found on the IBM web site at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...zakc/rzakc.pdf.

Do a search on SLNO. That particular value is discussed on page 236 of the manual. I cannot provide you any sample code as I have never used it myself.

Steve

Comment

Umm i dont think the SLNO field will work for him considering its only used to positioning fields relative to a particular line number as indicated by the SLNO field. However, what is required here is to list a set of records which is what subfiles are used for.

Two other alternatives are:-
            1.) Use DDM techniques (hope i didnt go wrong here since i am yet to try this one out) to dynamically create and list the fields using your program. However am not sure how to use this in Cobol but i guess it should be possible since we can use APIs.
            2.) Declare 40 fields and try to make it look like a listing (I wouldnt really call this an alternative)

Comment

Actually I think that before to create fields dynamically. But I think I have to define fields in DDS before use it. So I cant create dynamically that I think. But it can be wrong. Can you tell me or anyone tell me how to create fields dynamically or you have any dds and cobol example codes about it.

Comment

to dynamically create screens you'll have to use DSM APIs...and they aren't for the faint of heart...
                http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...c/apis/dsm.htm
                I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Working...
                X