• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single set based query

HI

i have requirement can any one resolve it

there are there strings "sample","pa","vx"

now check 2ndstr 1st character with 1st string if character present then replace the first string with thrid string (second string char index of first character)
    ex: take 2nd str first char "P"
    Check with 1st string if there replace the 1st string with "P" char index OF thrid string. i.e 2ndstr(0)=3rdstr(0);
    now samvle
    repeat the same step
    string must be "sxmvle"

one more example to get understand "as400",'0la","ssv"
    step1: result as4ss
    step2: result as4ss
    Step3:result vs4ss

Note: we should not use variables,looping,table,arrays etc it must be in single set based query.

Thanks

Re: single set based query

Originally posted by dileep.gare
    Note: we should not use variables,looping,table,arrays etc it must be in single set based query.
    That's an odd work requirement. It makes it feel like an academic assignment. What have you tried?
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

hi
      i used Translate function to do that...is there any alternative way to do

Comment

The TRANSLATE() function should fit perfectly. I don't know of a better way. Both of your examples could be done in a single query together.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

I dont believe that i have another account registered long back ago and this is my first reply from this account further i wont be using this account.

Thanks for your confirmation Tomliotta

I thought that there may be alternative way to approach without using any variable,arrays,etc,

Comment

Yes, there are often alternatives. I can imagine nested REPLACE() functions in some circumstances for example. But your examples have two-character values in one case and three-character values in the other. If the search and replace lengths vary from example to example, nesting gets less predictable.
            Tom

Comment

yeah, what u said is correct we cant predict every time the length of the string to be same. it may change.
              in that case replace function might fail i think.

i want the fixed query that should work for every string, because strings wont be same every time

Thanks
              Dileep

Comment

Working...
              X