Capturing data base changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing data base changes

I have been charged with the task of capturing changes to some of our DB files and reporting the changes to our parent company. I am pretty familiar with journaling but I haven't used it In a long while. I know you can use CMPJRNIMG to show what has been changed (if you are capturing BEFORE and AFTER images), but it just provides a report or display with asterisks above the characters that have been changed. It doesn't tell you the field names that have been changed (unless something has changed since I last used it). How can I get the changes into database field format? I understand TAATOOLS has the capability (CMPJRNIMG2) of doing this. I'm open to a different way to do this beside journalling if necessary.

Sounds like the job of an update trigger rather than journaling.

Comment

You could DSPJRN. Output the R records to an output file, then use SQL to create/add to a file with matching fields. You'd probably also want the journal type (PT, UP, UB, DL).

Comment

Search the forum a bit. I'm sure there was a large discussion a year or so ago on using triggers to detect and log column level changes, that included lots of code

Comment

Working...
        X