Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Sanitize

Hello Folks,

Do you know any available tool/utility that would may be used to sanitize sensitive production data?

Thanks.

Re: Data Sanitize

can you define "Sanitize"?? Just what are you trying to do?

Comment

Pouring Dettol over the disk racks always helps to sanitise the data for me ....
      Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Usually hot soapy water works, but if you have a virus you'll just have to let it run its course
        Your future President
        Bryce

---------------------------------------------
        http://www.bravobryce.com

Comment

well...

in Firefox there is an option for delete private datas.. something like "privacy.sanitize.promptOnSanitize".

So i think he will delete datas for ever.

Isnt a "scrap press" the truth for that?

k.

changed throuht to truth
          Last edited by kuempi; April 23, 2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Well it's my mistake that I should have elaborated more about 'sanitization' during first instance itself.

Sanitization is nothing but masking of sensitive data.For e.g. if original credit card # in production environment is say 4589-7642-3980-5431 then while retoring this info in development environment it must look like 4589-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX or XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-5431.
            The reason for doing this is that, developers should not have access to credit card#'s while testing their app's in either dev/test env.
            I know this is not going to be a very difficult task,but was wondering if anybody is aware of any best practises/ways of implementing it.

Thanks.

Comment

Shanky,

This may be a language issue then. In that case, you're talking ENCRYPTION/DECRYPTION. Search the forum here and you'll find several topics that we've had over that. If it doesn't answer your questions, please come back and we'll be glad to help.

-Rick

Comment

We have identified the key fields that the business want "masked/obscured" and we have some custome in house jobs for that.
                1. On the production system we take a copy of the database
                2. We then "purge" it severely to reduce the overall size
                3. We then run our custome "Scramble" jobs to scramble the sensitive data
                4. We save the "Slice of Life" database and restore it to the development system

Basically we make all sensitive data the same, so we set all customer names to "Mohammed" for an example so that developers can see the "name" via the normal screens but know it is garbage.

As we run the slice and scramble on the production systems it is secured by stricter authorities, and it does not go to the dev system until it is scrambled.

GC
                Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Working...
                X