Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical File Field name, and relations

Hi,
    I need to update a physical file field, and to maintain data integrity need to make same changes in all the files related to that field. Sadly no documentation regarding PF relations is provided.
    When i do DSPFFD for the object, it doesn't show me any referenced information, i think i am making changes to master file only.
    So problem is, i know a field name and physical file that has that field name, but i want to know all the physical files that may be related to known PF.

Tried looking into QSYS2/SYSTABLES but couldn't find anything helpful.
    Is there another system catalog that keeps track of all the relations?

Thanks.
    *...1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+ ....6....+....7.......+....8.......+....9.......+. ...10.......+....11...
    C*There are only 10 type of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Re: Physical File Field name, and relations

Did you try QSYS2/SysColumns?

Comment

nope...if you don't have a cross-reference tools like Hawkeye prepare for a lot of manual digging to find them...(unless it's used as a REFFILE in the subsequent files then a FNDSTRPDM can get most of those for you)
      I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Hi Proto:

See this thread:
        http://code400.com/forum/showthread....epi%20software

Best of Luck
        GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

XrefIT should work for you.
          Regards

Kit
          http://www.ecofitonline.com
          DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Originally posted by FaStOnE View Post
            Did you try QSYS2/SysColumns?
            Yes i did, can't make much from the text descriptions given there, what am i missing?

@tomholden
            Don't have hawkeye. No clue how fndstrpdm could be useful.

For FNDSTRPDM in file parameter what value i should put? I am looking for the filenames that may have referenced fields from the field name that i know (also the file).
            *...1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+ ....6....+....7.......+....8.......+....9.......+. ...10.......+....11...
            C*There are only 10 type of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

the file name would be the source file that contains the DDS for the PFs/LFs created...

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
                the file name would be the source file that contains the DDS for the PFs/LFs created...
                Dang i forgot to mention, as always, no source files available, only a library full of million different type objects.

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype View Post
                  Dang i forgot to mention, as always, no source files available, only a library full of million different type objects.
                  If you don't have the program source to re-compile.........when you modify the file most/all programs that use that file WILL blow up

Best of luck
                  GLS
                  The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by GLS400 View Post
                    If you don't have the program source to re-compile.........when you modify the file most/all programs that use that file WILL blow up

Best of luck
                    GLS
                    unless you do the irresponsible thing and change all the files to level check *NO.

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
                      unless you do the irresponsible thing and change all the files to level check *NO.
                      But its not the structure that i need to ammend, its the value only...
                      Changing a field value and reflecting that change in all files related to that field is what i am trying to do. But it sounds like, without using some third party tool i won't be able to do that. Guess i will just look up in all the objects field level description using Find_________ that comes up. Please let me know if there is some way. I was hoping there is a catalog maintained internally in db2 that keeps track of all relations like in Oracle.
                      Last edited by Prototype; February 4, 2010, 03:20 PM. Reason: blowed wysiwyg

Comment

hmm...you could use iNav's database map functionality to get the relationship information if that's what you are after.

Comment

I am a bit late on this one...
                          Originally posted by Prototype
                          Changing a field value ... in all file related to that field
                          Does it mean that all related files wear the same field name ?
                          Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                            I am a bit late on this one...

Does it mean that all related files wear the same field name ?
                            No. Thats why searching through Object Field Level description is of not much help either.

Comment

Even if you have an XRef, with out the source, you are plainly f'ed. Ask the software vendor that you want to change a value in a field in a file. They should then be able to tell you what also need to be changed.
                              Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
                              X