Getting a subfile field to accept a hex value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a subfile field to accept a hex value

We have a sub file that has a field that we scan data into, in this data there is a hex value '1D' but this causes the field to stop accepting data. Anyway I can make this field accept the value?

Re: Getting a subfile field to accept a hex value

how would a user type in X'1D'?
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

The data is getting scanned from a bar code into a field in the sub file.

Comment

Is the x'1D' part of the bar code? It doesn't seem like it should be. That's a 'group separator' character and would seem to be perhaps something added by the reader. I wouldn't expect it to be a normally coded character, but it's been many years since I worked with hand-held units of any kind and 'group separators' might not be so common nowadays.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

I guess I don't know what to say, it is a usps barcode being generated by a piece of software. These scanners are not smart ones with very few config options. I guess if I can just get the display file to recognize the '1D' as a valid key press I could at least handle the issue in my program.

Comment

in the 5250 protocol, x'1D' is the code that's sent to identify the start of a new field. There's not a lot you can do, here... the x'1D' has a special meaning, so unless you can escape it properly, it's going to cause problems.

Comment

Could you put this data into the subfile in hex form? That would avoid all issues of undisplayable characters or special characters that cause the data to be white, or blink, or whatever.

For example, if the data is the four characters 'AB-C' where - means x'1D', put the eight characters 'C1C21DC3' into the subfile. Here's an article about how you can convert from a character string to its hex form (and how to go back the other way, from say 'F3C5' to '3E') http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/de...-RPG-Programs/.
              Last edited by Barbara Morris; February 3, 2015, 06:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to post the link to the article

Comment

If I could change the scanner configurations I could probably do that but therein lies the problem. They have multiple different types of scanners and every time a new one would be put into place it would be another step for them to have to remember and that is assuming all these scanners have those kind of options, as some don't.

If I could get the string to my rpg program I wouldn't even need to go this far as all I am doing is stripping out the hex value with a scanrpl function.

Comment

Originally posted by jj_dahlheimer View Post
                  If I could change the scanner configurations I could probably do that but therein lies the problem. ...
                  Now I'm very confused ... how does the data get into the subfile if it's not being done by some program?

Comment

It is a handheld scanner, that scans a usps barcode into the subfile so that we can verify that they are working with the correct package. As soon as it comes across the 1D the subfile locks up and says function key not valid and won't take in the rest of the data.

Comment

Since "x'1D'" isn't a valid displayable character, it shouldn't be sent to a display field. Any number of suggestions/guesses might be posted here, but the vendor's support group is probably the only good source.
                      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

In order for the barcode scanner to be doing this at all it is either emulating a 5250 keyboard itself, or connecting via a concentrator that does that or ... Either which way these things are supposed to conform to the standards for the device which as Tom has pointed out does not support hex1D in a data field because it is a device control character.

So - either the device is wrongly configured or the intermediate software is.

But a 5250 is not going to accept a 1D as input.

Comment

Working...
                        X