Recover deleted records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recover deleted records

Hello everyone. How to recover deleted records from a physical file?

I read many years ago (more than 10) that you can save to a savefile and then changed the deleted record flag. But I haven't come across such a requirement for a long time. Ideally, you journal the file, and you then can do many things from the journal, including the recovery of deleted records.

Comment

Do you have DBU? It can reactivate deleted records.

I have used the save file method before. It is not pretty, but it may get you by in a pinch.

Comment

You could try using the UNDEL2 utility https://github.com/zs6jce/rpgle-UNDEL2

That said, I strongly suggest you change your procedures so this sort of thing is never necesary. You can't rely on the ability to undelete a record. Use things like backups and journals to ensure that you never need to use techniques like this.

Comment

Colleagues, I agree that it is a bad idea to recover deleted records directly from the file in which they were deleted. I just needed it once in testing, when the records were deleted and there was no logging for the file.
          Although I do not understand why IBM i does not have the native ability to perform such a recovery.

Comment

Working...
          X