Sample records file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample records file

This is my first post so I guess a brief introduction is customary...

My name is Wes, I am a Computer Science undergrad at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania. I am trying to get a programming position at the textile mill in town where I live where an AS/400 is still in use and RPG is their language of choice for creating interactive programs with which data is entered and sorted. From what I can gather they seem to be willing to train me/get me up to speed but I decided I'd rather try and learn as much as I can on my own before hand. I would consider myself proficient at Java and other modern OOP languages and thus far this has me a few astronomical units outside my comfort zone but I like the challenge.

That being said, after much googling and lurking on various forums over the past week I have managed to gain access to the public AS/400 @ RZKH.de and have spent some time getting used to the alien file system (LIB>FILE>MEMBER etc. I'm only 23; most of this is much older than I am), getting acquainted with SEU, etc.

This brings me to my point. Does anyone have available some sort of dummy database with some customer records or something I can use to practice with? Maybe I've been entering the wrong things but I cannot turn up anything like this on a google/forum search.

If I am going about this the wrong way, please, drop some wisdom and get me headed in the right direction.

Re: Sample records file

sql is very much alive on DB2...

I'm not sure do you have access to sql on the RZKH ?

if so create a table that way and we can help you add records.

else --- you will need to create the physical file using DDS.

Welcome,
    Jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Make one up?
      Do you have MS access. There is a sample DB there. You can create the table on the iseries and load the data. Jey you get to have fun with SQL this way.
      Find any other example online.

On a side note, how long do you think your little mill in town will be in use for? Do you think at 23 RPG is the best choice for the long run?

Hey , I've been doing it and love it, but I would not start out that way now.
      Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Good grief, you're only 23 years old. The system hasn't been called "AS/400" since 1999 -- when you were only 9 years old. Please don't learn bad habits! Today, the system is the IBM i operating system, running on Power servers. Please don't get in the bad habit of calling it by the old names....

Comment

I wish you well in your job search - and hopefully you will find a shop that develops *MODERN* RPG applications.

Some questions you may want to ask are:
          * What model & O/S release are you running? (This is important because it will give you an idea of how old their machine is - there have been significant enhancements made in the past few releases)
          * How long have you been using your ERP? Does the job entail just maintaining existing code, or is there new development? (Important because depending on how long they've had their applications will be a clue as to what version of the language it was written in - and follow it up with asking about restrictions they may have regarding HOW new programs are developed - such as do they allow free-form, service programs, SQL, etc)
          * How do you edit your source members (green screen, or more modern application, such as RSE)
          * (VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION) - What version of RPG are you using, and do you allow use of free-form ?

Good luck & keep us posted!

Comment

I had a Java programmer in my last shop and it didn't take him long to learn RPG. But we were using RDP to edit the source, writing everything in free-format with embedded SQL and procedures and service programs, etc. He became productive with RPG quite quickly, but if I had tried to force him to use SEU, old RPG III or RPGIV fixed-format code, etc., he never would have done it. We created some great projects with his skills in Java, SQL, XML, etc. coupled with the RPG we were writing.

Anyway, I think dandevoe's questions are good ones to get answers to. Of course if you just need a job, then take it almost regardless of the answers and learn as much as you can while you're there, especially since they seem willing to train you.

As to your question about creating a simple database file to test with, if I understood you correctly that you have access to a machine then try using SQL to create a file (aka table) in a library with data in it that you can play with. From the green-screen, try STRSQL and see if you get a screen where you can enter an SQL statement. I'm suggesting SQL to create your table for a number of reasons, not least of which is the fact that you probably know how to do that as opposed to creating a physical file with DDS.

Once you have a file/table created, then you can write some simple RPG programs against it to get used to the native i/o as well as trying some embedded SQL, etc.

Good luck.

Comment

I have asked a few of those questions already.

- I'm pretty sure it's all green screen
              - The guy I've been in contact has mentioned RPG ILE so that means free form is availible as far as I know
              - It sounds like it would be mostly maintaining the software they have, they said they are reluctant to migrate from the iSeries since they have a few hundred programs written by various programmers they've employed over the years.

Anyways, Viking it did not even occur to me to try SQL. I will give that a try tomorrow morning and get back to you thanks!

For the record, for all intents and purposes I "just need a job".

Comment

When you use SQL on the green screen, you'll need to use the system naming instead of SQL naming to address the library/file (schema/table). So MYLIB/MYFILE instead of MYLIB.MYFILE. And when you embed SQL in your RPG you may find that you'll need to specify not to use commitment control on certain SQL statements so that you don't need to journal the file. You can set the options to no commit, or alternatively add "with NC" to your SQL statements that update, delete, etc. You'll see examples and discussions about these topics here on this forum and all over the interwebs.

Btw, just because someone mentioned RPG ILE does not mean they actually actively utilize the features of ILE, and it doesn't mean they use free-form, etc. I've heard many programmers say they program in RPG ILE, and when I see their code it's the same old RPG III code but with the columns slightly adjusted... But hey, maybe they do which would be great for you. And if not, maybe they're open-minded enough to let you do it. Although if you're maintaining old code, you'll need to do it the way it was written.

Comment

You are really lucky! You got the job with training. Please engage with the team and contribute as much.
                  Your java knowledge will be really useful when it comes to integrations stuff and so on..

What is mean by “long run”?
                  Java peoples working with me here are slowly learning rpg and asking the same and I had the same thought when I started.
                  But reality is they cannot do the coding for next 30 years even they chose to go with java
                  They have to learn the business and pass the baton to the next team and so on.
                  Learn RPG and always keep in touch with java
                  Luck and Success!!

Comment

This might be useful: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/soft...2/sqldata.html

Comment

Wow, you guys are great; thanks for the fast/meaningful responses.
                      @dhanuxp Unfortunately I don't have the job yet. They do seem willing to get me up to speed, but I haven't heard back from my contact in a few days which I am hoping is because of Easter weekend; no news is good news right? Needless to say it is driving me crazy since I am pretty desperate to get out of BestBuy, haha.

Comment

Hi Wes,

there is a demo customer file with a few rows in library QIWS - the table name is QCUSTCDT

its content you can see here:

Comment

Since Barbara is also in the tread I will not start with “Gent’s” so

Ladies and germs,

If a 23 year old computer Science undergrad at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania wants to lean IBM I and RPGLE, let’s not start the lesson with whatever it is an AS/400 or an IBM Power System he is running on, let’s start with giving our knowledge so Wes can be successful and go back to his university with a WOW experience and by the way - get the job.

If anybody can do it, we can do it!

Comment

If a 23 year old computer Science undergrad at Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania wants to lean IBM I and RPGLE, let’s not start the lesson with whatever it is an AS/400 or an IBM Power System he is running on, let’s start with giving our knowledge so Wes can be successful and go back to his university with a WOW experience and by the way - get the job.
                            Well said!

Along that note, until around 4 or 5 years ago, many people whom I came in contact with were calling our beloved system an AS/400.

In more recent years in conversation, I have noticed the AS/400 name going away - now being replaced with "iSeries".

It'll eventually catch up, the next time that IBM renames the system / OS - I guess it runs at n-1 or n-2... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik Rutzou View Post
                              Hi Wes,

there is a demo customer file with a few rows in library QIWS - the table name is QCUSTCDT

its content you can see here:

http://5.103.128.110:6380/pextcgidmo...30304182012696
                              Thanks a lot, that is sort of a time saver for me at this point.

Also, when I first became aware of the position it was through secondhand information and the only thing they kept throwing around was "RPG" so after looking into it on my own I basically found that RPG runs on AS/400's and came to realize later they are now referred to as iSeries. So being the first thing I associated with RPG before I was really even aware of what that was ; it stuck.

Things are looking reasonably well as far as my prospects for the job go, I am hoping to get together with them sometime next week to discuss the job in more detail in person.

Comment

Working...
                              X