Change opcodes to free format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change opcodes to free format

And Rocky, keep kicking that carcass, amazing what gems will drop out.
    Chris...

Comment

Oh yeah, it's definitely cumbersome to deal with in SEU!! Hopefully it goes without saying that RDi would be a better choice?

Comment

SEU only accepts a maximum record length of 240 characters:-( So if you need to maintain some level of access with SEU (emergency updates) make sure you keep the record length below that. I would think 150 would be more than enough :-)...

Chris...

Comment

A (minor) favorite personal enjoyment of mine is reading discussions of how great it is to have long names, lines, expressions, etc., in RPG. What makes me chuckle is how the discussions have changed since the support became available.

Not too many years ago (before availability), discussions commonly included defense of short names and short expressions, as well as no need for D-specs. Comments were usually framed in terms of how terrible COBOL was because of its wordiness. Now it's almost possible to write the same programming in the two languages and have them look recognizably equivalent. (I suspect it'd be fairly easy to write a translator between the two.)

Now, discussions might be framed in terms of "Isn't it great that we can make RPG as wordy as COBOL?"

How times have changed.
          Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

LOL - though it would be tough to make RPG as wordy as COBOL... 13 lines of code just to display "Hello World" verses what - 2? In regards to translator when I was in college (1980) the college I went to had CDC computers. CDC didn't have an RPG compiler - they had a translator that would translate the RPG code to COBOL and they wanted $12,000/month for this... rather than pay such exhorbitant prices they contracted a Jr college to take the RPG code and compile them. So those of us who had to learn RPG they sent the code to a 2 yr college twice a day - they'd compile the RPG code and send back the listing - basically had 2 shots a day so make them count! Memories.... LOL

Comment

I am absolutely gob-smacked, I always create the source file with a record length of 92 as that was the default, never even considered creating one with longer records!!!
              I just had to do this yesterday... I made a srcpf with a record length of 240 in order to hold a source with long FTP commands since IBM i doesn't support line-wrapping in FTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                LOL - though it would be tough to make RPG as wordy as COBOL... 13 lines of code just to display "Hello World" verses what - 2?LOL
                It can be done in 2 lines in COBOL in fairly recent compilers on i (V5R3 is earliest I can test). One line is pure "boiler-plate" as is half of the second line. Anything that's 'boiler-plate' can be part of a template and practically ignored.
                Code:
                       ID Division. Environment Division. Data Division.
                       Procedure Division. display  "Hello, World" .
                It might be possible to get more characters removed. That was far enough for me. But I'm not sure how 'absolute minimum' code is particularly relevant when the discussion context is about how coding can include longer lines, identifiers and expressions. (REXX takes 17 characters on a single source line.)
                Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Originally posted by DAG0000 View Post
                  Being able to write a write a Long field or Procedure names on one line is about the only benefit I am seeing from using DCL-XXX for fields and procedures.
                  Also I will never call this latest iteration of RPG "FULLY FREE" until IBM finally eliminates the 80 column limit.
                  While I accept that something larger than 80 might be useful on occasion, do you _really_ want no limit? Seems to me the only thing that would guarantee is that sooner or later I'd end up have to maintain code that some bozo decided should be a 500+ completely unmaintainable mess.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                    While I accept that something larger than 80 might be useful on occasion, do you _really_ want no limit? Seems to me the only thing that would guarantee is that sooner or later I'd end up have to maintain code that some bozo decided should be a 500+ completely unmaintainable mess.

John, we are already getting an unreadable mess with free form on the D-Specs, from what I have been seeing. D and F specs are the one place where some form of fixed placement is beneficial as to reading the code. As for the column limit, it should be long enough (if there is to be one) to make the use of long fields name feasible without having to break up the lines

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
                      It can be done in 2 lines in COBOL in fairly recent compilers on i (V5R3 is earliest I can test). One line is pure "boiler-plate" as is half of the second line. Anything that's 'boiler-plate' can be part of a template and practically ignored.
                      Code:
                             ID Division. Environment Division. Data Division.
                             Procedure Division. display  "Hello, World" .
                      It might be possible to get more characters removed. That was far enough for me. But I'm not sure how 'absolute minimum' code is particularly relevant when the discussion context is about how coding can include longer lines, identifiers and expressions. (REXX takes 17 characters on a single source line.)
                      It's been awhile since I coded COBOL to be sure - but you did put essentially five lines of code... SEU complains profusely but it does compile. Which is a marked improvement of COBOL of old.... contrast that with:

Code:
                      DSPLY 'Hello world'; 
                      *INLR = *ON;

Comment

Originally posted by DAG0000 View Post
                        John, we are already getting an unreadable mess with free form on the D-Specs, from what I have been seeing. D and F specs are the one place where some form of fixed placement is beneficial as to reading the code. As for the column limit, it should be long enough (if there is to be one) to make the use of long fields name feasible without having to break up the lines
                        I don't personally find that folks make any more of a mess with free-form Ds and Fs than they do if calcs. Personally I have adopted some coding standards that work for me without being arduous and requiring a fixed columnar alignment. I also discussed with the folks at Linoma the possibility of providing some additional controls over the formatting of converted D & F by their Toolbox.

I have no issues with increasing the line length - just like to see some limit that stops the real idiots in their tracks. But what is "big enough"? For me I feel I only need another 20 or so, so extending to 132 would probably be enough - but I know others would disagree.

Comment

Interesting - the very thing that you argue for longer column length - use of long field names without having to break up the lines - is EXACTLY what the free format D specs are put there to accomplish... use of long fields names without having to use ellipsis (...) and breaking up the lines to use long field names... and IMO it makes them more readable anyway.

Code:
                              E*****************************************************************
                               E** TABLES & ARRAYS
                               E*****************************************************************
                               E                    TABPCT  6   6  1 0 TABVAL  2 2 VALUATION PERC.
                               E                    TABMO  12  12  2 0 TABDYS  2 0 #Days/Month
                               E                    @A      1   1 78               DSP APP. TITLE
                               E                    @TC     1  11 78               COMP TITLES
                               E                    @F      1  10 78               DSP FOOTERS
                               E                    @E      1  41 69               DSP ERRORS
                               E                    @O      1   6 80               OVERRIDES/CMDS
                               E                    @M      1   4 80               MISC TEXT
                               E                    @VT     9   9  3               VALID TYPE CODES
                               E                    @C          4  2               SCREEN CODES
                               E                    @MC         3  2               MISC CODES
                               E                    @MV         3  7 0             MISC FEES
                               E                    @W         50  1               WORK ARRAY
                               E                    @S        125  1               STRING
                               E                    @D          3  8 0             DATES 30 60 90
                               E                    @T         11 78               DSP TITLES
                               E                    @P          7  1               LIC. #
                          Verses:
                          Code:
                                 //****************************************************************
                                 //* TABLES & ARRAYS
                                 DCL-S TABPCT PACKED(1) DIM(6) CTDATA PERRCD(6);                          // VALUATION PERC.
                                 DCL-S TABVAL PACKED(2:2) DIM(6) ALT(TABPCT);
                                 DCL-S TABMO PACKED(2) DIM(12) CTDATA PERRCD(12);                         // #DAYS/MONTH
                                 DCL-S TABDYS PACKED(2) DIM(12) ALT(TABMO);
                                 DCL-S @A CHAR(78) DIM(1) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // DSP APP. TITLE
                                 DCL-S @TC CHAR(78) DIM(11) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                             // COMP TITLES
                                 DCL-S @F CHAR(78) DIM(10) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                              // DSP FOOTERS
                                 DCL-S @E CHAR(69) DIM(41) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                              // DSP ERRORS
                                 DCL-S @O CHAR(80) DIM(6) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // OVERRIDES/CMDS
                                 DCL-S @M CHAR(80) DIM(4) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // MISC TEXT
                                 DCL-S @VT CHAR(3) DIM(9) CTDATA PERRCD(9);                               // VALID TYPE CODES
                                 DCL-S @C CHAR(2) DIM(4);                                                 // SCREEN CODES
                                 DCL-S @MC CHAR(2) DIM(3);                                                // MISC CODES
                                 DCL-S @MV PACKED(7) DIM(3);                                              // MISC FEES
                                 DCL-S @W CHAR(1) DIM(50);                                                // WORK ARRAY
                                 DCL-S @S CHAR(1) DIM(125);                                               // STRING
                                 DCL-S @D PACKED(8) DIM(3);                                               // DATES 30 60 90
                                 DCL-S @T CHAR(78) DIM(11);                                               // DSP TITLES
                                 DCL-S @P CHAR(1) DIM(7);                                                 // LIC. #
                          A whole lot easier to see what is coded...

Even more mundane:

Code:
                               IWSDS        DS     I                                      369 369 KEY
                               I                                      370 370 ROW
                               I                                      371 371 COL
                               I                                    B 370 3710CURSOR
                          Is basically clear for us "old timers" - but
                          Code:
                                 //* WORK STATION CONTROLS
                                 DCL-DS Wsds;
                                   Key CHAR(1) POS(369);
                                   Cursor BINDEC(4);
                                   Row CHAR(1) OVERLAY(Cursor);
                                   Col CHAR(1) OVERLAY(Cursor:2);
                                 END-DS;
                          Code:
                                 DCL-PI MVR060;
                                   Sysmo PACKED(2);                                                       // Real (True)
                                   Sysdy PACKED(2);                                                       //    System
                                   Sysyr PACKED(2);                                                       //     Date
                                 END-PI;
                          Code:
                               C                     PARM           SYSMO   20       Real (True)
                               C                     PARM           SYSDY   20          System
                               C                     PARM           SYSYR   20           Date

Yes - it's clear isn't it that these three fields are 2 digits Packed Decimal? Maybe they're 20 characters... can't tell at first glance without first having to know the #$@$@$OLIJK@:$ columns. The former is painfully clear - the latter is cryptic - even if you were to move them up into a DS isn't a whole lot better...

Code:
                               I            DS
                               I                                    P   1   50FIELD1
                               I                                    P   6  100FIELD2
                               I                                    P  11  162FIELD3
                               I                                       17  202FIELD4
                          Code:
                                 DCL-DS *N;
                                   FIELD1 PACKED(9);
                                   FIELD2 PACKED(9);
                                   FIELD3 PACKED(9:2);
                                   FIELD4 ZONED(4:2);
                                 END-DS;

The first one for us "old timers" is readable enough - but the latter is far more communicative - 3 packed decimals showing the actual # of digits - no need to multiply by 2 and subtract 1 to know how big the field is - and it's obviously Packed Decimal (the latter is dependant - it's packed in the PARM but ZONED in I specs if not explicitely told otherwise). And the latter is Zone Decimal... and technically more accurate as 9 digits fit in 5 bytes.

Then we get into fixed format D specs... essentially the same as above... with one more caveat:

Code:
                               D                 DS
                               D FIELD1                  1      5P 0
                               D FIELD2                  6     10P 0
                               D FIELD3                 11     15P 2
                               D FIELD4                         4  0
                               D LETSTRYTHISONFORSIZE...
                               D                                5  0
                               D LETSTRYTHISONFORSIZENUMBER2...
                               D FIELD5                         5  0
                               D FIELD6                         5  0
                               D LETSTRYTHISONFORSIZENUMBER3...
                          Code:
                                 DCL-DS *N;
                                   Field1                        PACKED(9) POS(1);
                                   Field2                        PACKED(9) POS(6);
                                   Field3                        PACKED(9:2) POS(11);
                                   Field4                        ZONED(4);
                                   Letstrythisonforsize          ZONED(5);
                                   Letstrythisonforsizenumber2   ZONED(5);
                                   Field5                        ZONED(5);
                                   Field6                        ZONED(5);
                                   Letstrythisonforzizenumber3   ZONED(5);
                                 END-DS;
                          Which one is clearer? Widening the column length from 80 has it's merits - but I for one am glad for free format D specs..
                          Last edited by Rocky; January 2, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                            Code:
                                   //* TABLES & ARRAYS
                                   DCL-S TABPCT PACKED(1) DIM(6) CTDATA PERRCD(6);                          // VALUATION PERC.
                                   DCL-S TABVAL PACKED(2:2) DIM(6) ALT(TABPCT);
                                   DCL-S TABMO PACKED(2) DIM(12) CTDATA PERRCD(12);                         // #DAYS/MONTH
                                   DCL-S TABDYS PACKED(2) DIM(12) ALT(TABMO);
                                   DCL-S @A CHAR(78) DIM(1) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // DSP APP. TITLE
                                   DCL-S @TC CHAR(78) DIM(11) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                             // COMP TITLES
                                   DCL-S @F CHAR(78) DIM(10) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                              // DSP FOOTERS
                                   DCL-S @E CHAR(69) DIM(41) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                              // DSP ERRORS
                                   DCL-S @O CHAR(80) DIM(6) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // OVERRIDES/CMDS
                                   DCL-S @M CHAR(80) DIM(4)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                         // MISC TEXT
                                   DCL-S @VT CHAR(3) DIM(9   CTDATA PERRCD(9);                         // VALID TYPE CODES
                                   DCL-S @C CHAR(2) DIM(4);                                                 // SCREEN CODES
                                   DCL-S @MC CHAR(2) DIM(3);                                                // MISC CODES
                                   DCL-S @MV PACKED(7) DIM(3);                                              // MISC FEES
                                   DCL-S @W CHAR(1) DIM(50);                                                // WORK ARRAY
                                   DCL-S @S CHAR(1)  DIM(125);                                               // STRING
                                   DCL-S @D PACKED(8)  DIM(3);                                               // DATES 30 60 90
                                   DCL-S @T CHAR(78)  DIM(11);                                               // DSP TITLES
                                   DCL-S @P CHAR(1)  DIM(7);                                                 // LIC. #
                            A whole lot easier to see what is coded...
                            Thought that since I'd mentioned the coding standard I am currently using that I would "translate" your example. I personally find it hard to read when the free-form refs are as "dense" as yours - hence the style I adopted. Each to his own but for what it is worth ...

P.S. I didn't bother re-aligning your comments - but I'd have aligned them just beyond the longest line's ;

Code:
                                   //* TABLES & ARRAYS
                                   DCL-S  TABPCT  PACKED(1)    DIM(6)   CTDATA PERRCD(6);                          // VALUATION PERC.
                                   DCL-S  TABVAL  PACKED(2:2)  DIM(6)   ALT(TABPCT);
                                   DCL-S  TABMO   PACKED(2)    DIM(12)  CTDATA PERRCD(12);                         // #DAYS/MONTH
                                   DCL-S  TABDYS  PACKED(2)    DIM(12)  ALT(TABMO);
                                   DCL-S  @A      CHAR(78)     DIM(1)   CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // DSP APP. TITLE
                                   DCL-S  @TC     CHAR(78)     DIM(11)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                             // COMP TITLES
                                   DCL-S  @F      CHAR(78)     DIM(10)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                              // DSP FOOTERS
                                   DCL-S  @E      CHAR(69)     DIM(41)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                              // DSP ERRORS
                                   DCL-S  @O      CHAR(80)     DIM(6)   CTDATA PERRCD(1);                               // OVERRIDES/CMDS
                                   DCL-S  @M      CHAR(80)     DIM(4)   CTDATA PERRCD(1);                           // MISC TEXT
                                   DCL-S  @VT     CHAR(3)      DIM(9)   CTDATA PERRCD(9);                           // VALID TYPE CODES
                                   DCL-S  @C      CHAR(2)      DIM(4);                                                 // SCREEN CODES
                                   DCL-S  @MC     CHAR(2)      DIM(3);                                                // MISC CODES
                                   DCL-S  @MV     PACKED(7)    DIM(3);                                              // MISC FEES
                                   DCL-S  @W      CHAR(1)      DIM(50);                                                // WORK ARRAY
                                   DCL-S  @S      CHAR(1)      DIM(125);                                            // STRING
                                   DCL-S  @D      PACKED(8)    DIM(3);                                            // DATES 30 60 90
                                   DCL-S  @T      CHAR(78)     DIM(11);                                            // DSP TITLES
                                   DCL-S  @P      CHAR(1)      DIM(7);                                              // LIC. #
                            Last edited by JonBoy; January 2, 2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Rocky, take a look at the DCL-S examples you posted. That is somewhat readable since all of the field names are on 2-3 characters in length. Now change them so some are 1 or 2 characters and others are 10 or 15 and see what it looks like. That is a example of what I mean, and this is really about programmers formatting their code so its presentable and readable. Its no different then indenting if statements so I you can follow the flow of the code. Just because we can now write keywords in any part of the line doesn't mean we should just put them any where we like.

This is far easier to read then what you had posted.

Code:
                              DCL-S TABPCT  PACKED(1)   DIM(6)  CTDATA PERRCD(6);                      // VALUATION PERC.   
                              DCL-S TABVAL  PACKED(2:2) DIM(6)  ALT(TABPCT);                                                
                              DCL-S TABMO   PACKED(2)   DIM(12) CTDATA PERRCD(12);                     // #DAYS/MONTH       
                              DCL-S TABDYS  PACKED(2)   DIM(12) ALT(TABMO);                                                 
                              DCL-S @A      CHAR(78)    DIM(1)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                      // DSP APP. TITLE    
                              DCL-S @TC     CHAR(78)    DIM(11) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                      // COMP TITLES       
                              DCL-S @F      CHAR(78)    DIM(10) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                      // DSP FOOTERS       
                              DCL-S @E      CHAR(69)    DIM(41) CTDATA PERRCD(1);                      // DSP ERRORS        
                              DCL-S @O      CHAR(80)    DIM(6)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                      // OVERRIDES/CMDS    
                              DCL-S @M      CHAR(80)    DIM(4)  CTDATA PERRCD(1);                      // MISC TEXT         
                              DCL-S @VT     CHAR(3)     DIM(9)  CTDATA PERRCD(9);                      // VALID TYPE CODES  
                              DCL-S @C      CHAR(2)     DIM(4);                                        // SCREEN CODES      
                              DCL-S @MC     CHAR(2)     DIM(3);                                        // MISC CODES        
                              DCL-S @MV     PACKED(7)   DIM(3);                                        // MISC FEES

Comment

I agree - in "real life" I spend more time in cleaning up the conversion - I just took what RPG Toolbox gave for purposes of illustration. What I was trying to communicate is that there is more information in free format that is clear than the cryptic column format of fixed format.

Comment

Working...
                                X