Declaring timestamp field in physical file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaring timestamp field in physical file

Hi, how to declare in PF timestamp field?
    like this : DATE Z ?

and to what type can I write value of %timestamp() in rpg program? to char or to decimal or to some else ?

Re: Declaring timestamp field in physical file

When you are using SEU go to the type field and press F1 to get the list of all types. works for both source.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Michael, if your creating the PF in DDS then the data type is Z, IF your creating it through DDL then it is TIMESTAMP. I would recommend you download the relevant PDF's of the reference and programing guides, many questions like these can be found and answered far more quickly by looking through them first then waiting for a response through a message board.

Comment

Im using DDS - so I defined it with Z. (I have many reference guides, I found there answer for Z type.
        But one more question to what type can I write result of function %timestamp() ? I tried to char and to numeric and I got error (left and right sides are in different types) in both.

Comment

Define as type Z in RPGLE also.

Comment

It may be weird, but I did it.

D xyz Z

xyz = %timestamp();

and I also got error of type mismatch....

Comment

Your definition fro xyz doesn't show it to be a stand alone field but part of a data structure, is that what you intended? Although it shouldn't matter, I do both all the time. What line has the error? You can try the stand-alone definition here, notice the 's'.

Code:
              d xyz             s               z

Comment

Originally posted by michal2442 View Post
                Im using DDS - so I defined it with Z. (I have many reference guides, I found there answer for Z type.
                But one more question to what type can I write result of function %timestamp() ? I tried to char and to numeric and I got error (left and right sides are in different types) in both.
                In using ILE RPG you'd declare the variable to be a Timestamp - type Z.

Comment

Yes, I used S - standalone field and Yes, I declared it as Z type. So what could be wrong?

Comment

Here is a program that works on my system, I am at 7.1. Copy it exactly and see if it works on your system. It is hard to tell what your exact problem is because you don't show code (post in a code block, in Advanced, so we can see proper spacing/formatting). It would also be nice to see the actual message id and message you are getting and whether it is on the compile or at run-time. The line number of the error would also help. The more information you can give us the better we can help you, otherwise we are just taking guesses which just extends the amount of time it takes for someone to help you.

Code:
                         D xyz             S               z       

xyz = %timestamp;                       
                           *inlr = *on;                            
                           Return;

Comment

Originally posted by michal2442 View Post
                      Yes, I used S - standalone field and Yes, I declared it as Z type. So what could be wrong?
                      What could be wrong is that you coded it wrong. But we can't tell without seeing what you did. Please post your code.
                      Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

What is the Job Date Fmt, and what one did you use when you complied the program.
                        Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Working...
                        X