• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referencing Fields from an Externally Described File

I am brand new to RPG programming.

Code:
    F/SPACE 2                                                      
    FVShpPerf  IF   E           K Disk    Prefix(sp)               
    FVenshipp  O    E             Printer Prefix(rpt) OfLInd(*IN90)
    With the code above I am trying to define an external table file and prefix it. However when I try to set any fields from the Venshipp print file, like so:

Code:
    Z-ADD     0             rptRptTot
    I get a compile error stating: the name or indicator is not defined. This happens with all fields from Venshipp.

Am I missing something obvious here? My understanding of RPG is once you define an external files you can make reference to its fields, am I defining the file incorrectly?

Re: Referencing Fields from an Externally Described File

is rpttot a field in the printer file?

Also, dont use z-add / move ... Learn RPG Free from the start.
    Hunting down the future ms. Ex DeadManWalks. *certain restrictions apply

Comment

Guess I accidentally made my reply a face book comment.... huh.... Here it is again.

Bryce Stock ยท Freelance Graphic & Web Designer at Freelance Graphic & Web Designer
      Thanks for the suggestions DeadManWalks. Turns out I didn't understand that there was working variables in the Cspec that needed assigned the correct value. So the hunch I had about the issue when asking this question ended up being totally wrong.

As for RPG Free and Z-Add. I know that Z-Add is bad to use and that RPG Free is the newer/better. I didn't decide to use Z-Add or learn RPGLE over Free, I am in a training for my work, most of their programs are still written in RPGLE and some I'm sure many of them use Z-Add as well.

Thank you for your help, its good to know I have this forum as a resource when I need it.

Comment

For an output-only file, the fields only get defined in the program if you have a WRITE operation to the record format.

Comment

Whoa, I just noticed that there's a section at the bottom for comments (from Facebook) as well as the thread at the top. I wonder what I've been missing in other threads in this forum. I usually stop reading when I get to the "reply" box.

For maximum confusion, replying to Bryce's comment in the Comments section would be a Facebook reply. But replying in the normal thread at the top would lose the connection between the comment and the reply. Yikes!

Comment

When I learned RPG we would do:

RPTTOT SUB RPTTOT RPTTOT

Because it would made smaller compiled code (compared to Z-ADD) in order to fit into the 64kb limit of the S/34 !!

Comment

If you would like to make the code more modern, try using "qualified" instead of "prefix". This enables you to use stuff like eval-corr, which works very nicely for copying fields en-masse, so you don't have to have "rptField1 = spField1, rptField2 = spField2, etc."

Just a suggestion... prefix still works, it/s just a bit old-school.

Comment

"RPG free" isn't a separate language from RPGLE, it's part of it. So the only thing preventing you from using it would be shop standards, and the general ickiness of using a different style of code than the code that's already there. When I'm modifying old-style RPGLE, I stick to the existing style if I'm just changing or adding a few lines. I use free-form if I'm writing a whole new subroutine or procedure. Occasionally, I'll re-format a section of code to be free-form if I'm making significant changes to code where there are too many levels of nesting of IF/FOR etc (2 is sometimes too many).

Although even if I was writing in fixed-form, I'd use EVAL over Z-ADD and MOVE. (Hopefully nobody is working in a shop where there's a shop standard that says no EVAL or IF. *shudder*)

Comment

I use free format - but I rarely use the EVAL keyword ... it seems redundant to me 'EVAL commission = salesamt * pct;' vs just 'commission = salesamt * pct;' Unless one needs to use the extenders it just seems redundant...

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                    I use free format - but I rarely use the EVAL keyword ..
                    Hmmm... Barbara was recommending that if the OP is required to use fixed format, that he uses EVAL...

Comment

I agree with Barbara. I generally stick to the standard of the program that I'm modding... unless it's a big change and vendor software. Then I use /free. If it's in-house programs, and depending on it's size and spaghettiness (GOTO, etc.) , then I convert it the program to /free.
                      Regards

Kit
                      http://www.ecofitonline.com
                      DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Working...
                      X