Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to IBM

Hello all,

I'm new to the iSeries, well, relatively new. I've been working with it for roughly 3 years now and am hoping this place will be a good resource for learning and growing.

Welcome.

First lesson - the platform has been known as IBM i for 15+ years now. "iSeries" is a very old name. At least you didn't say AS/400 ;-)

Comment

Yeah, I've only been in the IBM world for roughly 3 years, and I've heard some people call it a Power i.

Comment

Ha, "Power i" is a new one for me.

rynspate, it's good to recognize the various names you might hear for the platform (AS/400, iSeries, IBM i), but it's best to say "IBM i".

Welcome to IBM i!

Comment

Welcome!

Yes the naming thing is frustrating. It doesn't help that iSeries is easier to say than IBM i!

Comment

Welcome, Rynspate!

The operating system is "IBM i", and the hardware is "Power Systems". For that reason, sometimes people get confused and mix the two together as "Power i". I've run into this a few times, but it's unusual.

1988 - 2000 = OS/400 (on AS/400 hardware)
            2001 - 2006 = OS/400 (on iSeries hardware)
            2007-2008 = i5/OS (on System i or System i5 hardware -- later Power Systems hardware)
            2009 - present = IBM i (on Power Systems)

Unless you're more than 12 years out of date, just call it IBM i. As Barbara said, accept the older names when people still use them, but always say "IBM i" for yourself... that is the most proper and makes you look good.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I see a few of you have put your two cents behind my embedded SQL statements issue.

Anyone else care to take a crack at it?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I see a few of you have put your two cents behind my embedded SQL statements issue.

Anyone else care to take a crack at it?

Comment

Working...
                X