Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help setting HTTP server to translate ASCII to EDCDIC

Hello all....

I'm working on our 3rd project using iSeries back end code with RDi middle tier. Neither of our first 2 business partners for front end was on iSeries and we had no trouble with communication with HTTP and WAS servers. Now, in our 3rd project with a different business partner, we have encountering numerous issues. This particular business partner was not used to using SOAP and have only begun using SOAP 1.1 with our project (we're on SOAP 1.2). We are working with their client and are not receiving the request message. After much discussion and numerous attempts, we were finally able to decipher the firewall logs and found that the business partner is sending their request in ASCII format while we're expecting it in EBCDIC. Their back end code is done in EDIFACT so I'm not sure what kind of system they are on. I'm trying to find a simple way to convert their ASCII to EBCDIC when it hits my HTTP server on the iSeries (currently we receive "faultString: WSWS3277E: Error: Could not resolve to an operation" error which we determined is due to the translation problem).

My question is....does anyone know an easy way to do this type of translation on an HTTP server? Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Caren

Re: need help setting HTTP server to translate ASCII to EDCDIC

Take a look at the environment header to see what encoding they are specifying. ie:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

It should match what they are sending. For instance, if they are using UTF-16 characters in the stream, and they specify UTF-8 in the environment header, the translation will fail.
    Michael Catalani
    IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
    Acceptance Insurance Corporation
    www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
    www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Thanks Michael...I will verify that. It would be fantastic if the issue was something so easily fixed (and something that I don't have to correct on my side!)

Comment

Hi again Michael...thanks for that bit of information...we checked with them and they are indeed sending UTF-16 even though they are showing UTF-8 in their header...they will look at changing it...wouldn't have thought to even ask them if not for your response here....

As usual...the people on this site totally ROCK!

Caren

Comment

Your welcome Caren, glad to hear it was as simple as that.
          Michael Catalani
          IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
          Acceptance Insurance Corporation
          www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
          www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

hey thanks, I am also new to html so couldn't able to find solution

Comment

Working...
            X