This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Two Domains Sharing Common Images

We already have a domain running on our iSeries but need to add a second domain.
    The problem is that both domains need to be able to access the same images (and other files).
    I am not exactly sure how to define this in the server httpd.conf file.

We are using Zendserver 6 on the iSeries, but basically the httpd.conf content is fairly standard Apache.

Our setup will look something like this (simplified of course):

/domainone - currently live
    /domaintwo - to be added
    /images - live to be shared

Httpd.conf contains the following:
    Alias /images/ /images/

which I assume is what allows us to use images on domainone as
    www.domainone/images/....

Inside the <Directory> section we also have
    AliasMatch ^/images/(.*) /images/$1

which may also help.

It's really hard to explain in a simple way because the "REAL" setup is far more complicated than this.

We do already have 2 domains, both pointing to the same space, but with url's like:
    domainone.com/dir1 and domaintwo.com/dir2
    If only the domain is keyed at the browser, a "Mickey Mouse" program redirects to the correct location.
    The setup also allows you to key:
    domainone.com/dir2 or domaintwo.com/dir1
    which Google REALLY doesn't approve of, and it makes web programmign a lot more complicated.

We are completely rewriting one of the domains, and I want to make sure that the server setup is done the right way this time (or at least better) and each domain is separated.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone who is familiar with having multiple domains on the same server.

Thanks in advance.
    Poddys Rambles On

Re: How To: Two Domains Sharing Common Images

What are you looking for help with?

Comment

Hi Scott.

I think in trying to describe the problem and in putting this post together I might have answered the question myself.

Ran into some other problems today, and I am waiting for another domain to be pointed at our iseries so I can test this.
      Will revisit in a few days if I still have problems, else will close the thread.
      Poddys Rambles On

Comment

My theory was correct, aliasing the product images folder allows it to be used by both domains, even though it's at a level above the root folders for those domains.
        I closed the thread.
        Poddys Rambles On

Comment

Working...
        X