Clear All

Re: Webfacing with Websphere

The future . . .

Comment

Originally posted by pjk
      The future . . .
      And the "future" is?

The death of RPG, COBOL, and the AS/400, iSeries etc. has been predicted many times over. Strange that they are all still here.

Much as I enjoy PHP, I rather suspect RPG will outlive it!

Comment

I haven't read the latest M$ publication to find out what the future is yet!
        Your friends list is empty!

Comment

The future! That sounds like a fantastic place. How soon can we get there?
          Predictions are usually difficult, especially about the future. ~Yogi Berra

Vertical Software Systems
          VSS.biz

Comment

Unless the internet dies... I don't see RPG outliving PHP. ^^' One of the local colleges teaches RPG, but they are thinking of dropping it. I was part of a meeting they had there a year ago regarding whether or not they should keep it. For now they are, but I don't think they will for much longer. Java, PHP, even VB seem to be the prevailing ways to go.

Yes, RPG has had a long life, but it's not only showing it's age (as it has already done so long ago), but it's more a question of using something familiar, opposed to something more appropriate to your target platform.

When I say future, I'm not stating that PHP is the future, but the concept--developing something that is truly cross-platform. If we ever decided to get rid of the AS/400 entirely? It would be a small step to do so. Things like PHP and SQL are highly portable, and supported in a multitude of environments.

For now, my boss is adamant about sticking with the iSeries, so that's not going away any time soon, even if you are limited in what versions of Linux you can put out there (for now at least)--Suse (free) or Red Hat (not free). We'd like to put slackware (also free) out there, but that's not possible right now.

Comment

Working...
            X