Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get file from windows NT server to AS400 server through FTP

Hi All,

I have windows NT server (xxx.gov). On this server there are some files in the directory (dir1).
    Suppose this month if there are 10 files under this dir1 then in next month there will be 12 files.

My requirement is, I need to copy these files from windows NT dir1 to my local AS400 server (ABC). This will be automatic process that runs every month. So every moth I need to check which files are present in my AS400 (ABC) machine before copying.

So last month if there are 10 files that are copied then this month if there are 12 file then I need to copy only 2 remaining files.
    How do I do this using FTP...???
    Cheers...
    Nil

Re: How to get file from windows NT server to AS400 server through FTP

If you must use FTP then using mget * and not replacing those already there will only copy the 2 new files. If the 2 systems are constantly available why not mount a NFS directory, then you do not have to worry about checking if any are there. We did the same thing for our backup images to allow us to copy to a QNAP device and it works very well. http://www.shieldadvanced.com/Blog/o...nas-using-nfs/

Chris...

Comment

I installed ncftp (http://ncftp.com) on our server, create a .bat file to run it and put it on Windows scheduler.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_hird View Post
        If the 2 systems are constantly available why not mount a NFS directory,...
        For a "xxx.gov" server, there might be additional security elements that should be addressed before protocols such as NFS are activated. Few AS/400-series systems have their user profile uids and gids, as well as euids/egids, synced with any UNIX/Linux systems that are reachable through networking. Much can be learned by some preliminary reading of internet docs and other sources, especially when older versions/releases are used.

From the Network file system (NFS) subtopic of the i 6.1 Information Center:
        When your system participates in an NFS network, or any network with UNIX systems that depend on uids, you probably need to manage your own uids instead of letting the system assign them automatically. You will need to coordinate uids with other systems in your network.

You might discover that you need to change uids, even for IBM-supplied user profiles, to have compatibility with other systems in your network. A program is available to make it simpler to change the uid for a user profile. When you change the uid for a user profile, you also need to change the uid for all the objects that the profile owns in either the root directory or the QOpenSrv directory. The QSYCHGID program automatically changes the uid in both the user profile and all the owned objects.

Many sites won't care or will already have set all systems up appropriately. But making use of NFS can open a need to review the three different UNIX/Linux, IBM i and Windows security/authentication mechanisms all at once. It can be worth review since various UNIX/Linux protocols, not just NFS, can make use of uids/gids for access.

Also be aware that the concepts work both ways. It can be necessary to control access from an AS/400-series system as well as into it. UNIX/Linux admins may have concerns about AS/400-series programmers coding network functions. Involving a UNIX/Linux security admin can be helpful in some environments.
        Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Thanks all for the valuable inputs here. I believe whatever posted here are related to third party software or commands however we are not allowed to use any external commands/software.

Please suggest me any other way using IBM commands.
          Appreciate all responses.
          Cheers...
          Nil

Comment

Originally posted by Nil View Post
            I believe whatever posted here are related to third party software or commands...
            So far, NcFTP is the only 3rd-party reference.
            Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
            X