Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twinax to LAN Console

Hi, I am on a 9406 525 7790 on V7R1.

I have been asked to change the current console from twinax to LAN console.
    I know I have to go in to SST and change the console type to 3, cable the pc directly to T5
    and IPL.
    They currently have their ethernet line in T5 going to the switch. Can I just move the ethernet
    cable currently from T5 to T6 and cable the ethernet from the new LAN console pc to T5?
    They have approx 50 users running off the ethernet connection.

Thanks, Elroy

A couple things...

1. You can not just move the current ethernet cable from T5 to T6 and expect all of your user traffic to migrate. You need to change the line description associated with that server IP address to the corresponding resource name for T6. I would do this first and assure it is working before IPLing and making console configuration changes.

2. Yes, you can connect the T5 directly to the PC with the console software and bypass the switch, in fact this is the recommended approach.

Also, you may want to make sure you're using a PC with dual NIC's so you can put the other ethernet connection on your internal network so you can RDP into the PC from another location.

I would search IBM support and make sure you have the IBM LAN Console Setup information when it comes time to configuring the console. It's pretty straightforward. But like I said above, you want to make sure that main server IP address gets configured appropriately and working first. Maybe you have that process down already.

Just another note, when you're configuring ethernet ports on an IBM i it's typically best practice to hard code the line speed/duplexing both on the switch port and on the line description on the IBM i. Auto-negotiate can sometimes cause issues depending on what switch you're connected to...this has become less of an issue in recent years, but I've still run into it on systems I've worked on in recent years.

Either way, make certain that if you're using auto-negotiate it's set that way on the line description and the switch port. Conversely, if you're hard-coding them make sure they match. You never want one being auto-negotiate and the other being hard-coded, per IBM recommendation, and I can vouch for that first hand.
    Last edited by egami; July 1, 2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks egami for the quick reply.
      After doing a WRKHDWRSC *CMN I have a Resource of CMB07 with two ethernet ports
      CMN17 - Location : U787F.001.DPM4HP9-P1-T5 has a description of ETHTPC
      CMN18 - Location : U787F.001.DPM4HP9-P1-T6 has a description of *NONE
      I copy the lind ETHTPC and create ETHTPC2, change the Resource name on ETHTCP to CMN18 and ETHTCP2 to CMN17?
      Then I create a TCP/IP interface rec for ETHTCP2 that contains the static IP of the new LAN console direct connect nic card?
      Configure LAN console.
      ​Change console type in SST.
      IPL
      ​Does that sound correct?

Comment

Working...
      X