Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Maximum number of records reached for file QPDSPLOG"

Good afternoon, guys!

I've been noticing this msg in qsysopr which speaks of the file "QPDSPLOG", which is a printer log file I believe - per IBM site.

My other admin is replying to them with "NOMAX", which I assume is only a temporary fix. My theory on why it keeps popping up is because it's a reply that is meant ONLY for one single given printer file in the system. In order to change this permanently to "NOMAX" for example, IBM states you can do a CHGPRTF command:

I am not sure that's a good idea (to switch to NOMAX) as I've read it could crash the system if there's a program bug that loops.

Does anyone have any documentation on how best to handle this file? Do we back it up and delete it as a housekeeping step? Also, I am not quite sure how to even use the file itself. I suppose you could copy the spool file, save it to your lib to look at? My apologies for asking such a basic question.

Message ID . . . . . . : CPA4072 Severity . . . . . . . : 99
    Message type . . . . . : Inquiry
    Date sent . . . . . . : 10/08/15 Time sent . . . . . . : 13:39:31

Message . . . . : Maximum number of records reached for file QPDSPLOG. (C R
    NOMAX 1-999999)
    Cause . . . . . : File QPDSPLOG in library QSYS was being processed when the
    maximum number of spooled records was reached.
    Recovery . . . : Do one of the following and try the request again.
    Possible choices for replying to message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :
    C -- To cancel processing, type a C.
    R -- To start counting the records again until the number of records equals
    the value on the MAXRCDS parameter on the printer file, type an R.
    NOMAX -- To change the printer file MAXRCDS parameter value to *NOMAX for
    this file, type NOMAX.
    More...
    Type reply below, then press Enter.
    Reply . . . .

Thank you

Re: "Maximum number of records reached for file QPDSPLOG"

I assume you know what process is producing this? Judging by the printer file, I'm guessing you are printing out the history log daily. As with PFs, SPLFs have a configurable limit for their max number of records. As you have already mentioned, it's a handy safety feature to prevent e.g. a looping job continually writing records and filling up disk space.
    At any rate, as you have mentioned you can increase the maxrcds if you are exceeding the current max by your processes. You don't need to specify *nomax though, just a higher value (if you know how big the spooled file gets, you could work out a reasonable maximum or through a process of trial and error find a suitable value).

Comment

Originally posted by john.sev99 View Post
      I assume you know what process is producing this? Judging by the printer file, I'm guessing you are printing out the history log daily. As with PFs, SPLFs have a configurable limit for their max number of records. As you have already mentioned, it's a handy safety feature to prevent e.g. a looping job continually writing records and filling up disk space.
      At any rate, as you have mentioned you can increase the maxrcds if you are exceeding the current max by your processes. You don't need to specify *nomax though, just a higher value (if you know how big the spooled file gets, you could work out a reasonable maximum or through a process of trial and error find a suitable value).
      I do not know what process may be causing it, but I'll start in that direction and find out.

Comment

I should also admit, I was trying to run DSPLOG command with prompt (F4) in order to view QPDSPLOG as well, but it's not found. Can only view QHST, though I'm probably utterly mistaken I'm sure. Still learning here.

Comment

Originally posted by LiQuiD_FuSioN View Post
          I do not know what process may be causing it, but I'll start in that direction and find out.
          If the error reoccurs, you can press Help and F9 on the message to show the job that issued the message.

Originally posted by LiQuiD_FuSioN View Post
          I should also admit, I was trying to run DSPLOG command with prompt (F4) in order to view QPDSPLOG as well, but it's not found. Can only view QHST, though I'm probably utterly mistaken I'm sure. Still learning here.
          The DSPLOG command is used to display the history log. Although it has a Log parameter, the only value I'm aware that it supports is QHST. The history logs are the QHST* files and DSPLOG displays the entries from those in a readable format.
          QPDSPLOG is a PRTF, which defines various attributes of a report that is generated when using it. As such, it's not a file that can be viewed.

Comment

If the error reoccurs, you can press Help and F9 on the message to show the job that issued the message.

The DSPLOG command is used to display the history log. Although it has a Log parameter, the only value I'm aware that it supports is QHST. The history logs are the QHST* files and DSPLOG displays the entries from those in a readable format.
            QPDSPLOG is a PRTF, which defines various attributes of a report that is generated when using it. As such, it's not a file that can be viewed.
            Thank you for the guidance.

I can see lots of web related connections it seems:
            Message . . . . : User WEB from client [IP] connected to job
            450754/QUSER/QZDASOINIT in subsystem QUSRWRK in QSYS on 10/16/15 13:44:00.
            I assume our web side is recording just about every transaction that occurs and flooding the logs in return. Glad I closed the gap in understand that QPDSPLOG qsysopr message though.

Next step is deciding whether to take any action, I think it's been like this for a long time now and I'm just slowly becoming hyper-aware of things. :P

Comment

I think you may be confusing the history log with the error message you originally stated which I believe is a spooled file (report) reaching maximum size. I can only guess you have some process printing out the contents of the history logs?
              At any rate, messages in the history log like those you have mentioned are normal. When a history log file reaches a certain size, the system automatically closes it and opens a new one. It doesn't cause the error originally posted.

Comment

It would be best to look to find the spool file - how is it being generated and why? Is it a job that runs on a scheduled basis for whatever reason? If so - does it still need to run? If it does - find out how many pages it generally generates and change QPDSPLOG accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                X