Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP and Journals

Beginner question alert!!! lol

I am attempting to monitor/setup notifications for an FTP file transfer we have scheduled on the iseries.

Question - Journaling? I am barely familiar with concept so curious as to if journaling on the file would allow us to be notified once file is uploading as well as any errors encountered?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iseries is old, so some of this may not apply. I'm talking here about IBM i.

A Db2 journal is basically a flight-recorder that writes an immutable record of every DB transaction. It doesn't have any inherent notification or error handling.

A DB trigger can be set up that would fire off every time certain DB actions occur on a table, at a row level. That wouldn't directly notify you when the entire FTP is complete.

What kind of errors do you anticipate? Typically the errors would be sent to the client.

Comment

What are you using for FTP on the i? Probably there is a log file you (or your program) can check. I have some very basic programs that send and others that pick up files using FTP and there is a log file generated each time.

Comment

You can monitor FTP output log and look for specific code 200 OK for success. You need to look at the program on how the logs stored. Sometime output log stored in multiple member file.

Comment

I use a multiple member file named FTPOUT. I defined it with two fields, a 3 character message ID and a 77 character message text. All messages displayed on the sceren by FTP are written to the file member. I override file OUTPUT to this file and member before running the FTP command, and all messages normally displayed on the screen are written to the file. FTP breaks up its messages into 80 character pieces. Then I read the file, looking for a message ID of 226 for success or 425 for cannot connect to host. All of this is done in batch. You will need a file of FTP commands, with an override of INPUT to this file, telling FTP what to do.

Comment

Working...
          X