Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showcase problem HY017

Hi all

Did any one using showcase (a vendor product) for user query on AS400 data. Recently we have encounter a problem that message "Error occurred in SQL Call Level Interface - HY017 "
    prompted and all user cannot logon showcase. The problem could only be resolved by reboot server. I have attached the error log below. Did any one who are good at Java could help to diagnosis the error message . what it means? Many thanks

Error message (Java script)

com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2SQLNonTransientConnectionE xception: Error occurred in SQL Call Level Interface - HY017
    at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:195)
    at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:41)
    at java.sql.SQLException.<init>(SQLException.java:40)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2SQLNonTransientConnectionE xception.<init>(DB2SQLNonTransientConnectionExcept ion.java:47)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2SQLException.createExcepti on(DB2SQLException.java:141)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatementRuntimeIm pl.SQLPrepare(Native Method)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatementRuntimeIm pl.prepare(DB2PreparedStatementRuntimeImpl.java:24 4)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatement.setupPre paredStatement(DB2PreparedStatement.java:397)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2PreparedStatement.<init>(D B2PreparedStatement.java:316)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.prepareStatemen t(DB2Connection.java:3098)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.prepareStatemen t(DB2Connection.java:3017)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.prepareStatemen t(DB2Connection.java:2968)
    at com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Connection.prepareStatemen t(DB2Connection.java:2788)
    at com.showcasecorp.jdbc.SCRemoteDatabaseMetaDataImpl .resolveLibName(SCRemoteDatabaseMetaDataImpl.java: 4337)
    at com.showcasecorp.jdbc.SCRemoteDatabaseMetaDataImpl .getODBCColumns(SCRemoteDatabaseMetaDataImpl.java: 5212)
    at com.showcasecorp.jdbc.SCRemoteDatabaseMetaDataImpl .getColumns(SCRemoteDatabaseMetaDataImpl.java:5349 )
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor1057429150.invo ke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastSe rverRef.java:261)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:1 48)
    at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport. java:144)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages( TCPTransport.java:460)
    at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandl er.run(TCPTransport.java:701)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Showcase Version & License

Showcase Warehouse Manager Client 7.1 at patch level 7.10.550. (Our company have bought 52 licenses )
    Machine serial - iSeries AS400 IBM i5/OS V5R4

Background information

Company has two showcase servers under subsystem QCMN for two group of user with different showcase client version (6.5 and 7.1)

Server Name User Detail
    SCSERVER7S QUSER Showcase Server Job for 7.1 Version users. Submit user job to subsystem QSYSWRK with job name QSQSRVR.
    SCSERVER71 QUSER Showcase Server Job for 6.5 Version users. Submit user job to subsystem QCMN with job name SCTCPSRV.

Re: Showcase problem HY017

Just did a quick search and all I found was the description for SQLSTATE HY017.

HY017
    Invalid use of an automatically allocated descriptor handle.
    The Handle argument was set to the handle for an automatically allocated descriptor or an implementation descriptor.

I doubt that helps much. Have to translate it from IBM into English first!
    Ben

Comment

Thanks Ben actually already got the meaning of HY017 from IBM webside, however we need to know the root cause just wonder the error code (in Java) listed would help to hip out the root cause or give hint to our vendor for further checking.

Please anyone could help ? !!! we are now suffer from day to day reboot and pressure from user side.......

Comment

If showcase is using WAS, then take a look at this fix -http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PK42850

Otherwise, I would make sure that I have the latest fix for each of the clients you are running. This sounds like the same condition as described by the WAS server above, with a client dropping, and the software not mapping the dropped connection to a stale connection exception. Especially if rebooting the server is fixing it. (And by rebooting the server, you shouldnt have to reboot the entire system, just the subsystem / WAS server.)
        Michael Catalani
        IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
        Acceptance Insurance Corporation
        www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
        www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Hi Michael

Thanks for the information, just want to know the problem could be solved after the fix mentioned in web http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg1PK42850 applied?

Actually resolve by rebooting is not a good solution for us.
          Before the fix applied, is there any way to solve the problem (such as some configure setting) beside reboot server ?

If you need more background information , just tell , and I will provide for your checking.

Again many thanks

Veronica

Comment

Originally posted by vlui00 View Post
            Hi Michael

Thanks for the information, just want to know the problem could be solved after the fix mentioned in web http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg1PK42850 applied?

Actually resolve by rebooting is not a good solution for us.
            Before the fix applied, is there any way to solve the problem (such as some configure setting) beside reboot server ?

If you need more background information , just tell , and I will provide for your checking.

Again many thanks

Veronica
            Probably not, because its an application error, not a hardware error. The application itself is not flagging a condition correctly when a connection is dropped, therefore it is trying to assign a handler that's no longer valid to a connection that used to use the handler.

Now, if a user is somehow ending a session incorrectly, such as simply unplugging their laptop from an ethernet connection, that may causing the original problem, and keeping them from doing that might keep the application from getting into an erroneous state in the first place. But without knowing what condition specifically is causing the error, I wouldnt know what to look for.

If you are having to reboot only once per day to clear the issue up, I would do so early in the morning before anyone arrives. I wouldnt wait until a user has a problem before doing it. I woul do it before anyone arrives, and try to clear any problems before the users get on.
            Michael Catalani
            www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Hi Michael

Thanks for the info

Actually we do have the reboot every early morning. however the problem is - the loading of usage is very large. Large amount of user draw data from AS400 using show case during day time and make unstable and need to reboot during office hour which have impact to our service.

Just wan to double confirm if (1) the problem could be resolved if we apply the fix pack mentioned in link http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg1PK42850 ? (2) And at the mean time, we could avoid the problem by telling user when they encounter the error message, DON'T choose any "OK" or "YES" , just response with "NO" options ?

Again thanks

Comment

Hi Michael

any thing I could provide to u (config or setting etc), if want to dig out the root cause?

Comment

Could any help on the case ?

Comment

Just wan to double confirm if (1) the problem could be resolved if we apply the fix pack mentioned in link http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg1PK42850 ? (2) And at the mean time, we could avoid the problem by telling user when they encounter the error message, DON'T choose any "OK" or "YES" , just response with "NO" options ?
                    You will have to direct that question to the vendor for Showcase unfortunately. Check with them or with your IBM support rep, I would look at installing the fix Michael mentioned asap, even if it doesn't cure it, at least it will be unlikely to cause further damage.
                    Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

Hi

Checked that showcase is not running on WAS , that mean the problem could not be resolved by installing the fix ...

Comment

Hi

Checked that showcase is not running on WAS , that mean the problem could not be resolved by installing the fix ...
                        That means you have to report the problem to Showcase, and see if they have a fix for it. (Or they need to create one.) The product is simply not handling certain dropped connections correctly.
                        Michael Catalani
                        www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Hi Michael

Thanks for the advice, we will check the issue with our vendor. thanks

Comment

Anyone solve this issue in their organizations?
                            Here it is 2013 and this issue still exists in Showcase 9.0.3, 9.0.4 and 9.1 with no solution in site. I've been working with the vendor on this even before IBM sold Showcase to Help Systems.
                            In my environment, whenever the number of active Showcase users grows large is when I see the HY017 and the product locks up. We didn't have this issue until I made a change to the timeout interval. The default was 15 minutes, a request was put in to make it 1 hour. Users can walk away and not come back to showcase and their session is in use. The number of users grows as more users log into Showcase and all of a sudden the product dies. I am entering a change at my organization to change the timeout interval back to 15 minutes. I want to see if the problem still occurs as often.

Comment

Hi Tom:
                              You've probably read this but if not:
                              http://www.helpsystems.com/showcase/help-facts/error-occurred-sql-call-level-interface-hy017-0

from the above:
                              user profile is setup incorrectly (wrong outq name/wrong jobd authority)
                              Best of Luck
                              GLS
                              The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X