Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCH74A5 - Java Virtual Machine 1 has ended because of reason 4

Hi all,

I'm trying to execute my first rpgle java integration which basically based on iText.
    based on the joblog, when i executed the program, i received MCH74A5 then JVAB55C error code 5 (JVm already exist in process) thus causing my subsequent MCH3601 error in my program.

any guide/clue is very appreciated.

info:
    V5R4
    JVM classic

Re: MCH74A5 - Java Virtual Machine 1 has ended because of reason 4

The JVAB55C isn't useful in this case and makes some sense after MCH74A5. But it's hard to think that much help will come from anywhere but IBM for MCH74A5 reason 4, unless you really get lucky.
    Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) can only be started once per job. So, once the JVM crashes (or is ended) you cannot start it again unless you start a new job. (If this is an interactive session, that means signing off and back on again. If this is batch, that means ending the batch job, and submitting a new one.)

The error messages you cite mean that you tried to start the JVM a second time.

Most likely prior to these messages the JVM is crashing, so when you try to use Java again, it tries to restart the JVM, causing this message.

You need to figure out why it is crashing to begin with and fix that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tomliotta View Post
        The JVAB55C isn't useful in this case and makes some sense after MCH74A5. But it's hard to think that much help will come from anywhere but IBM for MCH74A5 reason 4, unless you really get lucky.
        you're right. after few days of googling, still no clue about MCH74A5 reason code 4. (same goes to unfortunate flight MH370 ). hope to find some guide from experts here
        i suspected it have something to do with my JVM setup. still googling to find some clue to troubleshoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Klement View Post
          The Java Virtual Machine (JVM) can only be started once per job. So, once the JVM crashes (or is ended) you cannot start it again unless you start a new job. (If this is an interactive session, that means signing off and back on again. If this is batch, that means ending the batch job, and submitting a new one.)

The error messages you cite mean that you tried to start the JVM a second time.

Most likely prior to these messages the JVM is crashing, so when you try to use Java again, it tries to restart the JVM, causing this message.

You need to figure out why it is crashing to begin with and fix that problem.
          Scott,
          in my case, its an interactive pgm. i've try to signing off and on again...still no success.
          DSPJVMJOB juz to find if there is any existing jobs...still no success.

i suspected it have something to do with my JVM setup.

Comment

from my joblog

Message ID . . . . . . : MCH74A5 Severity . . . . . . . : 40
            Message type . . . . . : Escape
            Date sent . . . . . . : 08/04/14 Time sent . . . . . . : 08:13:05

Message . . . . : The Java Virtual Machine has ended.
            Cause . . . . . : Java Virtual Machine 1 has ended because of reason 4.

and the 2nd error was

Message ID . . . . . . : JVAB55C Severity . . . . . . . : 40
            Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
            Date sent . . . . . . : 08/04/14 Time sent . . . . . . : 08:13:07

Message . . . . : Unable to create Java Virtual Machine.
            Cause . . . . . : Unable to create Java Virtual Machine (JVM) because of
            reason 5.

subsequently, the MCH3601 error was thrown when executing the program (at initial stage to construct new JAVA instance)

Message ID . . . . . . : MCH3601 Severity . . . . . . . : 40
            Message type . . . . . : Escape
            Date sent . . . . . . : 08/04/14 Time sent . . . . . . : 08:13:08

Message . . . . : Pointer not set for location referenced.
            Cause . . . . . : A pointer was used, either directly or as a basing
            pointer, that has not been set to an address.

Comment

So you can't run any Java code at all? This happens on the very first line of Java code you execute in the entire job?

If so, I can only guess that your JVM is screwed up somehow.

Comment

Obvious first step would be to ensure a recent Java group PTF package is installed. That'll be necessary even if IBM gets involved.
                Tom

There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Comment

Working...
                X