ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-order your Blackberry playbook Today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-order your Blackberry playbook Today!

What the hell are they thinking?
    BlackBerry provides organizations and governments with the software and services they need to secure the Internet of Things. Learn how BlackBerry Cybersecurity powered by Cylance AI can protect your people, network, and data.

jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Re: Pre-order your Blackberry playbook Today!

I know what they are thinking... it goes something like this....

"Hey...Apple has the potential to kick our *@#%@#%@#% in touch devices. We own the enterprise so lets get a tablet in there before the iPad gains traction. Oh yeah...lots of people don't like the Apple app-store policies and anti-competitive behavior.... lets give that market an alternative."

To which I say... I can't wait to get to Best Buy to play with one of these... I hope it matches up well
    Your future President
    Bryce

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.bravobryce.com

Comment

Sorry Bryce..

BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion's new tablet computer, the PlayBook, arrived with a shrug yesterday as near-empty stores created a stark contrast to the all-night crowds that typically await new Apple gadgetry.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/201...#ixzz1K4gcOfOd

www.code400.com

Comment

Its not all bad news...

It will be interesting to see how things play out. RIM seems to be happy to do steady growth as opposed to explosive growth like Apple lives on. If it gets the enterprise adoption it hopes for then it could shape up quite interestingly. If they don't get enterprise adoption then I think the playbook will largely be a failure. Also, they need to get themselves on a very short release cycle and keep pumping out updates as fast as their Canadian minds and go.
        Your future President
        Bryce

Comment

I love the idea for out outside sales guys -- because of the BES & Exchange..
          but in the end I can get the ipads to do activesync just fine.

I'm leaning far to the right on selecting the ipad as the outside platform.

(i've tested Ipad, Xoom and Galaxy Tab)

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm in a catch22 with Apple. While I think that they probably have the best tablet device, hands down, at the moment... the little angel sitting on my soldier keeps whispering in my ear about their crazy app store shenanigans that they pull over and over and over again. How nuts is a 30% cut? How nuts is their demand of a 30% stake of all subscriptions and that you can't sell anything through your app store program that doesn't also pass through the app store...so they can take their cut??!!!!?!!???!?!!???!??!?

So every time I'm tempted to take a serious look at their devices I run into that internal debate. My inner geek pukes when I think about them seriously for more than 30 seconds.
            Your future President
            Bryce

Comment

@#%@#%@#%@#%! I didn't see this coming
              Research In Motion has reportedly stopped production of its BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and is considering exiting the space altogether, according to reports.
              Collins Stewart analyst John Vinh made the claims in a note to investors Thursday morning, citing anonymous sources at RIM’s manufacturing partner Quanta.
              "While Quanta last week acknowledged that it had laid off a significant number of production workers from a factory focused on producing the PlayBook, our research indicates that the [manufacturer] has essentially halted production of the tablet," Vinh wrote. "Additionally, our due diligence indicates that RIM has canceled development of additional tablet projects.”
              The move would be drastic, but hardly unforeseen; RIM shipped 500,000 PlayBook tablets in the slate’s launch quarter, and only 200,000 more in its first full quarter of availability. He's not alone in that characterization: Multiple analysts have anticipated the PlayBook’s demise.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1ZiWPKxlv

www.code400.com

Comment

Hold out hope! RIM denies this analysis... I don't think they can shut it down since their new phones will be based on its QNX operating system and they have yet to ship a phone with that system... give it until the new year... we'll know more then
                Your future President
                Bryce

Comment

It's like Moses and the tablets Bryce - written in stone!

RIM just don't have anything I have seen that competes, the real estate apple have with the full sized screen on the iPhone made the blackberry's with their half screen/half keyboard look and use like old tech. They will have to make iPhone-esque products to compete, and then I say to myself if they have to play ctachup and copy to compete then why not buy from the master that makes and innovates to start with?
                  But then I am an iPhone user and convert. Haven't tried a tablet yet of any flavour, and haven't made the shift from PC to Mac yet.
                  Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

The Canadian retailers Future Shop (www.futureshop.ca) and Best Buy Canada (www.bestbuy.ca) are selling Playbooks at $200 off regular retail. A 16gb unit is $299 / 32gb is $399 / 64gb is $499. I actually picked up a 32gb unit. My first tablet however I have used an iPad before. Not had much time to play with it, but one of the coolest things is how it and my Blackberry Torch become one unit with Blackberry Bridge.

Comment

I'm not sure that I see the big deal about the phone + tablet connection via the bridge. Maybe I don't understand its usefulness. But to address you Greg... yes RIM has fallen behind. And their latest wave of BB7 phones is simply to give them a little cover and give themselves the half baked image that they are releasing "new" product to the market. The real test of whether RIM can stand not only in the tablet space but the consumer smart phone space is how well their QNX phones do. They won't be out until 1st or 2nd quarter 2012, so their stock is going to get beat up over the next 6 months. Especially since Apple is going to be moving millions of new iPhones in that time. It will just make them look worse. I think the key to QNX will be if it delivers as promised.... and that means Android apps on your BB.

If they can pull that off I think you'll see the Enterprise stop moving away from BB phones and stay with them because users will get the security of BB plus the apps they love. And it will be one less platform to develop for so developers will rejoice and you could see some major swings in their favor. I'm excited for QNX, I really think it will deliver. But unfortunately I can't hold out for one. I'm still on an original Storm. That's right, I was blessed with the 1 Storm that didn't die within 18 months of purchase. Its over 2 1/2 years now. I'm just waiting to see what the iPhone looks like and see if HTC, Motorola, or Samsung launch a new phone with Verizon in the next two months... the holiday season will see some action I think. But man, I can't wait
                      Your future President
                      Bryce

Comment

Working...
                      X