Creating a Virtual XP Machine of the 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Virtual XP Machine of the 400

I want to create a virtual XP machine on my 720 in order to pass data to that machine so that my web-site can gain access to that information without gaining access to my 400. I think the virtual XP machine is the way to go, just don't know how to creat it, HELP!

-Dan

Re: Creating a Virtual XP Machine of the 400

not sure I know what your talking about.....but not sure you can run virtual pc on IFS...... why can you just ftp the data to your webserver? or create a share from the server side to the ifs on the iseries to store the data?

jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

I know it can be done. I want this vitual machine because I want to run a .Net program on it to perform various transactions to and from different web-site(s) so it acts like a traffic cop if you will. Surely I can FTP to the webserver but that is exactly what I don't want to do. We have no MS secured network per-say here nor is there money to purchase and install. I can not open up my 400 nor would I. I need a go between and something that doesn't cost anything. The info on my 400 can not be exposed or even look like it could ever possibly be exposed, EVER! This could cause me to be killed...Heheh...I used two linux boxes currently to send and received from the internet but this solution with not work for my new requirements and besides I need to run my .Net app......Just starting my search and thanks for you response.
      -Dan
      (*_*)
      Just sat

Comment

Once you give access to the IFS, you've already compromised your access to the ISeries. There are numerous things in the IFS you'd have to lock down and or secure if/when you used a Virtual XP box in either case. (QSYS.LIB being one of many).

I still don't see the necessity of this, specially with a 720. I would say that your best bet would be to get a Server for communication and or .NET distribution then let that server communicate to your ISeries with a secured connection.

Sorry we can't be of more help!

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Wilson View Post
          I know it can be done.
          I'd like to see that!

The IFS is nothing but disk storage. Anything you store there would need to be able to run on a PowerPC chip.

You can install an Integrated xSeries server, which is an intel-class processor that uses the IFS for its storage. But that doesn't mean it's "running on the IFS", or the 720.

Bottom line...you need to buy more hardware.
          "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

Working...
          X