Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is/odbc from istudio400

Hi All:

Has anyone here heard of the product "IS/OSBC" from ISTUDIO400 or ESTUDIO400?

It is supposed to connect directly to an SQL server allowing ILE RPG/ILE COBOL/ or ILE C integration.

Compared to other solutions I've researched it's cheap.

Processor Group--IS/ODBC License--Annual Maintenance--Development License
    P05 $1,500.00 $625.00 $0.00
    P10 $2,600.00 $1,000.00 $0.00
    P20 $3,850.00 $1,100.00 $0.00
    P30 $6,375.00 $1,700.00 $425.00
    P40 $9,200.00 $1,725.00 $862.50
    P50 $12,750.00 $2,250.00 $1,500.00

The main question is DOES IT WORK?

All comments welcome

Thanks
    GLS
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Re: is/odbc from istudio400

free is a better price...have you looked at Scott Klement's service program to connect to external databases? there's a link or 2 in this thread... http://forums.systeminetwork.com/isn...ult.properties

also here's a link to the presentation he presented you can download it from his website http://www.scottklement.com/presentations/Accessing%20Foreign%20Databases%20with%20RPG.pdf
    Last edited by tomholden; June 19, 2008, 11:51 AM.
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Have you tried sending an e-mail to John? He's very helpful - maybe he would supply a couple of customer contacts. I looked into this a while ago for our company and it seemed like a *very* good deal in terms of ability and price - something that's rare on our platform.

Unfortunately, it doesn't support the JET engine interface that runs MS-Access...but then again, not a lot of software does...

Once more of our data begins moving onto SQL Server we are going to look at this product again.

Terry

Comment

I was going to make a really scathing MS-Access comment, but I don't want to be mean today.
        Your future President
        Bryce

---------------------------------------------
        http://www.bravobryce.com

Comment

Originally posted by bryce4president View Post
          I was going to make a really scathing MS-Access comment, but I don't want to be mean today.

LOL....yeah, we hate it too! Go ahead Bryce...tell us how you feel ;-)

Terry

Comment

Well I don't know who made the final business decision to say, "Hey, MS-Access seems like a reliable solution. It will scale as our business grows. We shouldn't have to worry about this for a long time." That person, I don't even know what to say about them....
            Your future President
            Bryce

Comment

Terry:

I was afraid to because the web site is soooooo out of date. I wasn't even sure that they were still in business.

This is part of the power point down load

Server Status Date
              MSSQL 7.0 + Certified August 2003
              Sybase SQL Testing June 2004
              MySQL 4.0.13 + Testing May/June 2004
              Oracle 8.0 + Scheduled June 2004

If I'm reading that correctly mysql should be ready by may or june of 2004!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzys.

Thanks
              GLS
              The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Call/Email them? Ask for a demo if you can contact something that breathes
                Your future President
                Bryce

Comment

Originally posted by GLS400 View Post
                  I was afraid to because the web site is soooooo out of date. I wasn't even sure that they were still in business.
                  Yep, the web site looks the same as it did in January when i corresponded with John Brandt (sales@istudio400.com). They are a small operation so I suspect the web site is not kept up to date as religiously as other sites.

They are happy to provide a trial download. I don't know John personally, but I once attended an MI class with him at Common a few years ago and he seemed like a stand-up guy

In some respects, he reminds me of Brad Stone - a small independent guy who as developed some niche software at very affordable prices!

I'm with Bryce...shoot him a message and see what he's got to say...

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by bryce4president View Post
                    That person, I don't even know what to say about them....
                    Were they affiliated with Micro$oft in a prior life? Most likely Access is the only exposure they have ever had to a database.

Regardless, sounds like they should have a boot planted up...ooops, best not get to graphic here...lol

Terry

Comment

Hi Terry:

If that's the same John Brandt of "Ask The iSeries 400 Expert:" at search400.com, [as his meet the experts portfolio suggests] The product is in a completely different light.

Thanks for the insight and advice

GLS

Comment

Originally posted by GLS400 View Post
                        If that's the same John Brandt of "Ask The iSeries 400 Expert:" at search400.com
                        Yup...one in the same

Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X