VPN Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN Connection

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I am trying to use a Cisco Web Based VPN connection and I get the following message:

"The installer was not able to start the Cisco SSL VPN Client"

With Windows Vista and IE 7.

Anyone have a work around for this?

Any info is very much appreciated.

Re: VPN Connection

we are using that here.....

did this connection work previously?

jamie
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Worked fine with XP - doesn't work with Vista - Jamie, thanks for assisting.

Comment

i do have this running on multiple Vista installs...

I do have to say all of them are Vista Ultimate....

only two versions of vista can join a domain Ultimate & network.
        not sure if this is your issue........ what is version of vista with error?

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Vista Home Premium SP 1 - I will upgrade to Ultimate if this will fix the problem - thanks again.

Comment

I am using the Cisco VPN client with Vista Business. It shouldn't require you join the domain to use it, although some network fuinctions may not be authorized. Check that you have a newer version of Cisco VPN client, also check for another conflicting VPN. It is possible you have a Vista or IE7 setting that is preventing it ? Firewall ?

Comment

Nope - not a firewall issue and it's the only VPN I am trying to use. It's the Cisco Web VPN. I just got this from Cisco's site:

From the Cisco site FAQ:

Q. The SSL VPN Client fails to launch on Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 7, and the user gets the Installer is downloading Active x....Installer was not able to start SSL VPN client.... error message, why?
              A. Cause:
              The error appears because the SSL VPN Client (SVC) fails to initiate a connection.
              This happens because of ActiveX install/download problems on Windows Vista with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7. Windows Vista is shipped with Internet Explorer 7, which has an entirely new model that deals with ActiveX. Aside from the differences in ActiveX, the networking stack has been rewritten, and the routing table is different. There are a few other quirks that can affect the client, as well.
              Resolution:
              SVC is not compatible with or supported on Windows Vista with the Internet Explorer 7 browser as of now.
              The workaround is to use supported platforms, such as Windows XP, with Internet Explorer 7.

So I really don't know if an upgrade to business or ultimate would work.....thanks Arrow

Comment

Come to think of it, ours is just called Cisco VPN Client (no "Web"). Perhaps a different client would work ?

Comment

Going to try the network VPN tonight from the hotel. You can't connect from the intranet with the network client or so the network guys tell me. The web based VPN is nice because you can connect to the AS400 but other programs don't have to go through the VPN connection and the restrictions the business' put on the sites you can get to. The client I am not working with doesn't even allow access to pop3 accounts through Outlook. Thanks again Arrow

Comment

I use Cisco anyconnect vpn on both XP & multiple vista ultimate PCs'...
                    with explorer 7.0 not sure how old this data is but, I can assure you that
                    it does work on explorer 7.0 & vista

jamie
                    Attached Files

www.code400.com

Comment

Hi Jamie, Arrow.

The network VPN works fine from the Extended Stay Hotel here in Rockford with connections to the 400 and MS Exchange.

However, the WebVPN does not. Not a bigee - thanks for all of the help.

Rich

Comment

Rich,

Let me know if you want to compare setup when you get back to the mother
                        ship

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Hi Jamie,

I'm in the office (Rockford, IL) - the connection that fails is the
                          Cisco SSL VPN Client WEB VPN where I attempt to put an https address in my browser (IE 7) for VPN access.

Sometime when you have a minute I would like to compare setups.

I had no problem using Web VPN with XP. And again, the network VPN works fine from the hotel.

Thanks again.

Rich
                          Last edited by rckass; October 21, 2008, 08:11 AM. Reason: Hiding stuff from AS400PRO

Comment

Gee... a number in USA that doesn't start with 555!
                            Rich ... rather send Jamie a pm with the nr, rather than making it public... and quick... before AS400PRO gets to see it!
                            Regards

Kit
                            http://www.ecofitonline.com
                            DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

nice save kit

Sounds like a date.......

we are using the Cisco anyconnect vpn .... kinda cool you get by default
                              two free licenses.... we just recently upgraded to 50.
                              As I configure new PC (all vista) i throw on the anyconnect...

Its so easy you just map an external IP to the ASA then externally
                              'just hit the secured site and the anyconnect (if you havent already downloaded the client) configures, downloads
                              and connects all in one "step" ... I use it exclusivly from how and when
                              traveling.... You should not need VPN connection for your exchange,
                              and if its just iseries you need to see I would recommend doing ssl to
                              the iseries...then just load client access on using the SSL and
                              no need for any VPN. If you notice the image (the faint 128 in the far left bottom)
                              i am using SSL client access always.

Im in the middle of completing the exchange rollout and will be available
                              soon after my brain stops bleeding

jamie
                              Attached Files

www.code400.com

Comment

Working...
                              X