ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help transferring file containing special characters!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help transferring file containing special characters!!!

Not sure if I'm posting this on the right thread or not...but I'm hoping someone here may have a solution for us. My manager is attempting to transfer a .csv file to the iSeries. Nothing unusual about doing that except that the data in the .csv file contains special characters such as tilde, umlat, etc. that are related to spelling cities in languages other than English. He needs to keep these special characters when transferring the data to our iSeries but the transfer keeps failing. He, and now I (since he's great at dumping things like this!) have tried many different ways but always get the same result of it not transferring. We've tried using DBCS for this but still are not getting the results we expect.

Here is one example:
    BEL Belém BR Brazil

We want the data in the iSeries to be Belem, BR with the special character over the 2nd E in Belem to be retained.

Does anyone know of a way to get this data from a .csv file on a PC to a PF on the iSeries???

Re: need help transferring file containing special characters!!!

are you saying this doesnt work?

DDS
    PHP Code:
           R TESTR                                          
             ONE           20          TEXT
    ('One')          

TWO           20          TEXT('Two')          

THREE         20          TEXT('Three')        

FOUR          20          TEXT('Four'
    Command
    PHP Code:
    CPYFRMIMPF FROMSTMF('jamie/test.csv'TOFILE(JAMIELIB/TESTP

RCDDLM(*CRLF
    Attached Files
    All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
    and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks Jamie...

We tried your solution but we receive a CPE3025 error message. We have the .csv file on c: drive on PC. We cannot seem to get it onto the iSeries with the special characters in the city names. Is there somewhere else we should try to put the .csv file before attempting to run the CPYFRMIMPF command?

Caren

Comment

Why cant you place this on the IFS....Am I missing something?
        I placed the above .csv (changed to .txt so I could post) on a folder on IFS.
        Then from command line I ran the CPYFRMSTMF.
        It worked as you can see from the image ... the data is on the systemi.

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

How are you putting the file on the IFS? FTP? Windows? CA? Perhaps a coversion is happening during that step.

Comment

As soon as I relayed your solution about the IFS to my manager, the light bulb went on in his head...however, said light bulb dimmed very quickly. We moved the file to the IFS (first trying it as .csv and then as .txt). We then tried to run the CPYFRMSTMF. We were able to see some results but not the records with special characters. We verified that the data came onto the IFS accurately. And for the records that were copied, the results were also accurate. However, we still have a problem with records containing special characters. I guess we'll just have to keep trying various solutions until one works. Thanks for assistance and if you happen to think of anything else, please let me know.

Comment

Which special characters are you missing.....
              can you supply me with a sample of this data?

Jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Below are a few of the records that contain special characters along with some without special characters. None of the records with special characters are coming through when we use the copy command (although we are farther along than we were before).

COU La Coruña ES Spain
                DAJ Darién Jungle PA Panama
                BEL Belém BR Brazil
                IBZ Ibiza ES Spain
                ILS Les Saintes GP Guadeloupe
                INC Incheon (Seoul) KR South Korea

Thanks for checking into this. We tried to follow your example, Jamie, but still were not successful.

Comment

is this a csv file? In your example I dont see ","

what is the CCSID of the folder you are using.. and how are you getting it there?

jamie

www.code400.com

Comment

Thanks for your efforts Jamie. We managed to get it there (brute force is how my manager explained it). Our work around method ending up being a file transfer....which caused the records with special characters to show garbage. My manager then went into the spreadsheet and copied the records with special characters and, using DFU...(yeah...he's old school)...he manually inserted the corrected values into the table on the iSeries. Luckily, he only had a small subset of data that he needed to work with for this effort.

Comment

okay just to make sure it wasnt an ftp thing...
                      I created a new .txt file with your data from above.....
                      I am assuming that your data is CSV as you stated even though I dont see commas..
                      anyway... I droped the new .txt file onto my c: drive for ease and then FTP to the IFS
                      331 Enter password.
                      Password:
                      530 Log on attempt by user FLANARY rejected.
                      Login failed.
                      ftp> user
                      Username flanary
                      331 Enter password.
                      Password:
                      230 FLANARY logged on.
                      ftp> bin
                      200 Representation type is binary IMAGE.
                      ftp> quote site namefmt 1
                      250 Now using naming format "1".
                      ftp> cd /jamie
                      250 "/jamie" is current directory.
                      ftp> put test.txt (replace
                      200 PORT subcommand request successful.
                      150 Sending file to /jamie/(replace
                      226 File transfer completed successfully.
                      ftp: 177 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 177000.00Kbytes/sec.
                      ftp> put test.txt
                      Then ran this

PHP Code:
                      CPYFRMIMPF FROMSTMF('jamie/test.txt'TOFILE(JAMIELIB/TESTP)

RCDDLM(*CRLF
                      and got the data to work -- see image.. MY CCSID for folder Jamie = 437
                      Attached Files

www.code400.com

Comment

The text encoding of PC file is prob the culprit. Change it to ANSI or Windows-1252 (ASCII) using say Notepad++.

Follow these steps :

1/ create a new empty file with the correct text encoding
                        2/ copy the data from the csv file into the clipboard
                        3/ paste into the newly created PC file
                        4/ delete the stream file created in the IFS if any
                        5/ ftp the new file to the IFS in BINARY mode
                        6/ check the data in the IFS file using DSPF '/path/.../NewFile.csv'
                        7/ if ok CPYFRMIMPF into the DB.

It's at least worth giving a try.

BTW, csv = Comma Separated Values. As Jamie said, where are the commas in the samples you have posted above ?
                        Philippe

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
                          The text encoding of PC file is prob the culprit. Change it to ANSI or Windows-1252 (ASCII) using say Notepad++.
                          This was the reason for my question about how he was getting the file on the IFS in the first place. There are a number of ways to do it, each may have it's own got-chas.

Comment

Just convert everything to English and leave out all the special characters... that will take care of it! (We don't need all those special characters anyway...)

Comment

Geez, ostrich policy !
                              Philippe

Comment

Working...
                              X