Capturing the rrn of a locked record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing the rrn of a locked record

I have a program that reads through FILEA for update and when it finds a record in FILEA that is locked by another program, I want it to display the RRN of the locked record along with an error message. Problem is the RR# in the INFDS for FILEA only updates the RR# in the DS of the last record that was successfully read. How can I capture the RRN of the record in FILEA that the program is trying to retrieve but is locked.

Why not reading twice:
    1. Read in Display Mode
    2. Chain in Update Mode

Then you can determine the RRN from the row read in Display Mode and can display it.

Comment

I would modify Birgitta's suggestion to test for the lock condition and if encountered try a chain(n) or read(n) to get the record.

That said I'm frankly not sure why you want the RRN because it is pretty meaningless in most cases - why not just display the key of the record and (more usefully) interrogate the lock and find out what program/user is holding it.

Once you establish which program fix it so that it never holds locks while a record is displayed to the user - which situation probably accounts for about 90+% of all record lock scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
        I would modify Birgitta's suggestion to test for the lock condition and if encountered try a chain(n) or read(n) to get the record.
        ... be aware (N) will only work if you are not working under commitment control!

Comment

The error message in the PSDS has the RRN of the locked record.

Try this program, changing "myfile" to some file that has at least two records.

Code:
          dcl-f myfile usage(*update) infds(infds);
          dcl-ds infds;
             msgid char(7) pos(46);
          end-ds;
          dcl-ds sds psds;
             exception_data char(80) pos(91);
          end-ds;
          read(e) myfile; // read one record
          read(e) myfile; // read another record
          if %error();
             dsply 'Error. Check joblog for msg about infds, psds';
             snd-msg msgid + ' "' + exception_data + '"';
          endif;
          dsply 'wait, type 1' '' *in10;
          *inlr = '1';​
          • Submit a call to the program to batch to lock the second record
          • OVRDBF myfile waitrcd(1)
          • Call it from your interactive job
          • If the DSPLY says an error occurred, dspjoblog to see the SND-MSG output
          • WRKSBMJOB and use option 7 to reply to the DSPLY for the submitted call
          The SND-MSG output in my joblog shows this:
          Code:
          CPF5027 "Record 2 in use by job or transaction 873132/BMORRIS/BMORRIS.
          If the first-level text of the message in the PSDS doesn't have all the information you need (such as the actual file), you could receive the message from the joblog.

Comment

Working...
          X