RUNRMTCMD alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RUNRMTCMD alternative

Our company has decided that RUNRMTCMD is a security hazard. This after using it for years and years in quite a few of my applications. We have 12 LPARS, so keeping things synchronized is time consuming without the use of RUNRMTCMD. They are shutting down *REXEC, port 512. So, now I have to find an alternative, if there is one. I am not familiar with rexec(), but maybe that is an alternative or does it use the same TCP port? Any advice is appreciated!

rexec() is what RUNRMTCMD uses under the covers.

I would suggest using REST APIs or ssh.

Comment

I was told that if I create a dummy DDM file pointing to the same remote system that RUNRMTCMD would work without REXEC.
      I just tried that, and unless I made a program mistake, creating a dummy DDM file does not work.

So SSH could be the answer. I will work on that, but I am surprised that it to would not run under REXEC.

Comment

Never heard of "creating a dummy DDM file".

Why would you be surprised that SSH wouldn't use REXEC? It's a completely differnet program that uses a completely different protocol... one designed to be secure using advanced cryptography and digital keys. It was explicitly designed as a replacement for RSH (which, in turn, was designed as a replacement for REXEC).

Comment

Working...
        X