Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webservice return stream file

Hello,

is there a way to return a stream file (PDF) from a rpg programm. I want to build a webservice that can be called and this webservice returns a pdf. Is there a way to get this to work?

Simply use the OVRPRTF command to redirect your spool output to a PDF file. Alternatively (if you need a "printed" copy of the file) then produce the spool file as usual and then use CPYSPLF to produce the desired PTF.

If for some reason you cannot use a regular RPG print file then you'll have to use a language like PHP, Python, Java, node.js or whatever for which there are PDF packages available. Then simply invoke the relevant script from your RPG code.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Im trying it with qtmhwrstout to get the pdf on the browser of the client but maybe im doing something wrong.

Code:
      Headers = 'Content-Type: application/pdf' + newline +
                                    'Content-Disposition: inline; filename=' + %trimr(filepath)
                                    + newline + newline;
      qtmhwrstout(headers:  %len(headers):  err);​

Comment

** Post deleted - couldn't find another way of doing it

Last edited by JonBoy; August 15, 2023, 03:03 PM.

Comment

The header type you are using is normally only aimed at a browser i.e. where you want to show the user the pdf as page content. But you say you are providing a web service.

If you really want to send the pdf as a web service response it would normally be wrapped in (say) json _and_ base64 encoded. Reason for this being that a pdf is a binary format and you'll almost certainly get character conversion problems just sending it.

It would be helpful if you could be a little clearer about the service you are providing.

You can find some ideas on how and why base64 is needed in this thread on Midrange.com https://archive.midrange.com/web400/.../msg00047.html

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that the IBMi webserver (at least the one we use, which I think is Apache) does not character set convert non-text content types. So if you specify application/pdf and then write the raw bytes to STDOUT using qtmhwrstout, it should work.

I write a proof-of-contept program in 2019 to do exactly this - read IFS files and return them as the response body of a HTTP GET request. It worked for html files and PDFs, as long as you specified the correct content type in the header.

Plain text type file:
            Code:
                     Dcl-C CGI_LINE_FEED       const(x'15');

headers = 'content-type: text/html' + CGI_LINE_FEED;
                     ifsPath = 'somepath/SomeHTMLPage.html';
                     IFSOUT(ifsPath:headers:*off);​
            Binary file:
            Code:
                     Dcl-C CGI_LINE_FEED       const(x'15');

headers = 'content-type: application/pdf' + CGI_LINE_FEED;
                     ifsPath = 'somepath/SomeBinaryFile.pdf';
                     IFSOUT(ifsPath:headers:*on);​

IFSOUT would
            • Write the header to STDOUT
              • (append a CGI_LINE_FEED if one not already present)
            • Write another CGI_LINE_FEED to close off the header
            • Read the IFS file using SQL, using a SQLTYPE (CLOB_FILE) variable, in 32k chunks
              • If IFSOUT parm 3 (binary) is *on, then the CLOB_FILE is CCCSID(*hex) so no character set conversion is done
                • Because content-type is a binary type, the webserver will not character set convert
              • Else the CLOB_FILE is ccsid(37) (job CCSID) so the IFS file is converted to CCSID 37 as it is read into the program
                • Because content-type is a text type, so the webserver will character set convert from 37
              • Call qtmhwrstout to write this block to STDOUT
            We have an old application and job CCSID defaults to 65535 instead of 37, which is why I need to explicitly declare the SQLTYPE as CCSID 37. If your IBMi is set up with a proper job CCSID then you may not need to specify a CCSID for the text-type processing

Comment

Vectorspace solution is more up-to-date, but here is an oldie, but goodie using CGIDEV2 to write standard output.
              Attached Files
              Your friends list is empty!

Comment

Working...
              X