• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: String Parsing in RPG IV

Thanks Jamie,

Originally posted by jamief View Post

Your only as old as you feel

jamie
    And there are days when that is _very_ old Jamie - but today I'm holding steady at about 42!

Jon P

Comment

I echo your thoughts.....Today is a very good day & tomorrow will be better!
      All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
      and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Jamie,

"you have the age of your arterias"

That's what we say here

Bon anniversaire Jon.
        Philippe

Comment

Then I am very old...Ham, Bacon & Cheese mixed with large amounts of MT. Dew keep me moving.

All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

Originally posted by jamief View Post
            happy birthday Jon...sorry i missed it also.......

Your only as old as you feel

jamie
            I thought it was "you're only as old as the last time you changed your mind" - and yes there is another involving women but I will leave that alone :-)

Comment

I have a similar query, can someone help.

I have a rpgle program which invokes a java method makestring(arg); and retrieves a value.

the value which is passed is like this 'XXXX-000011' and retrieves a value as 30. I could not find the defintion for this Java method in iSereis, but i need to understand how this value is interpreted.

also, any idea why this interpretation is done....

p.s. the interpretaed value is again used to verify the data with the Oracle server, but am not clear why this interpretation is done.

Many thanks, Vinoth

Comment

java objects in RPG are basically "handles" to the java object, not the value of the java object itself. so the value of 30 is basically that object is the 30th java object created in that job (at least that has been my experience). FWIW RPG doesn't have a clue as to what the java objects are but simply maintains a handle to where the object resides in memory. the difference is you are passing the string (creating a java object of type string) not retrieving a value from a java object of type string.

this really should be a separate thread, even though the question seems that it might be related this thread is about parsing a string not creating a string...
                Last edited by tomholden; July 11, 2012, 07:01 AM.
                I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
                  java objects in RPG are basically "handles" to the java object, not the value of the java object itself. so the value of 30 is basically that object is the 30th java object created in that job (at least that has been my experience). FWIW RPG doesn't have a clue as to what the java objects are but simply maintains a handle to where the object resides in memory. the difference is you are passing the string (creating a java object of type string) not retrieving a value from a java object of type string.

this really should be a separate thread, even though the question seems that it might be related this thread is about parsing a string not creating a string...
                  Ok.. May I have to rewrite my question.. I will write in a new thread... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X