Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic SQL within stored procedure

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to execute a dynamic SQL statement within a stored procedure for some time now, and this is what I've got so far:

Code:
    CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE TSTLBEL/COMPARETBL(IN TABLE1 CHAR(10),
                                                     IN TABLE2 CHAR(10),
                                                     IN LIBL CHAR(10))
        LANGUAGE SQL
        MODIFIES SQL DATA
        BEGIN

DECLARE REQUEST VARCHAR(200);
            DECLARE NBTBLCOMP INTEGER;

SET TABLE1 = CAST(TRIM(TABLE1) AS CHAR(10));
            SET TABLE2 = CAST(TRIM(TABLE2) AS CHAR(10));
            SET LIBL = CAST(TRIM(LIBL) AS CHAR(10));

SET REQUEST = 'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
            (SELECT * FROM ' CONCAT LIBL CONCAT '/' CONCAT TABLE1 CONCAT '
             UNION ALL
            SELECT * FROM ' CONCAT LIBL CONCAT '/' CONCAT TABLE2 CONCAT ')';

--Stored values
            CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE QTEMP/CMPTBL(NB_ROWS INT, AFFECTED_TABLE CHAR(10));

--Dynamic SQL Statement
            EXECUTE IMMEDIATE REQUEST;

--Need to store the result into NBTBLCOMP to display here
            INSERT INTO QTEMP/CMPTBL(NB_ROWS, AFFECTED_TABLE)
                VALUES (NBTBLCOMP, 'Union');
        END;
    I want to be able to call it using :

Code:
    CALL TSTLBEL/COMPARETBL('TABLE1', 'TABLE2', 'TSTLBEL');
    I'm also storing other data in the resulting table, and it's mainly for data verification.
    I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Dynamic SQL within a stored procedure on an IBM i since I've been looking through documentation for quite some time, but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks!

we have the same rules as in embedded SQL.
    1. A SELECT statement cannot be executed with EXECUTE IMMEDIATE, because you cannot specify where to return the result
    2. If you want to execute a SELECT Statement dynamically, you need either a CURSOR (DECLARE, PREPARE, OPEN, FETCH, CLOSE) or
    3. if you only want to return a single row, a VALUES ... INTO statement in composition with PREPARE and EXECUTE (note: SELECT ... INTO is not supported with dynamic SQL).

Here your example with VALUES INTO:
    Code:
    SET REQUEST = 'Values( ' concat
        'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
            (SELECT * FROM ' CONCAT LIBL CONCAT '/' CONCAT TABLE1 CONCAT '
             UNION ALL
            SELECT * FROM ' CONCAT LIBL CONCAT '/' CONCAT TABLE2 CONCAT ')'
            concat ') into ?';

Prepare DynSQL From Request;
    Execute DynSQL Using NBTBLCOMP
    BTW if you only want to calculate how many rows are currently in your tables ... it can be done with static SQL!

Code:
    Select sum(Number_Rows) into YourResult
      from SysTableStat
      Where    (System_Table_Name = YourTable1 and System_Table_Schema = YourSchema1)
            or (System_Table_Name = YourTable2 and System_Table_Schema = YourSchema2);
    Birgitta

Comment

Thank you very much for your interest. I'll be trying this out tomorrow.

So if I understand correctly, VALUES...INTO using an aggregate will work in dynamic SQL because the result can be predicted (in this case, COUNT returns an Integer I believe).

I'm specifically looking for a match using this method (UNION ALL) and the row count of the other 2 tables (which should be a clear indicator if the 2 tables have exactly the same data within them)

Now what data isn't matching would be interesting eventually, but that would probably require a cursor to know exactly which row isn't matching.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

Comment

If you want to check whether 2 tables are completely identical (same columns, same rows, same contents), you need the following statement (if no row is returned, both tables are an exact match)
        Code:
           (   Select * from Table1
            Except
               Select * from Table2)
        Union
           (   Select * from Table2
            Except
               Select * from Table1);
        Extract filters all row from the first table that are not or different in the second table.

Birgitta
        Last edited by B.Hauser; February 27, 2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

I'm assuming you meant to say EXCEPT as in

Code:
          [INDENT](   Select * from Table1    [/INDENT][INDENT]Except        [/INDENT][INDENT]Select * from Table2)[/INDENT]
           Union[INDENT](   Select * from Table2 [/INDENT][INDENT]Except        [/INDENT][INDENT]Select * from Table1);[/INDENT]
          Thank you for your time.

Emile
          Last edited by eloiselle; February 27, 2019, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eloiselle View Post
            I'm assuming you meant to say EXCEPT as in

Code:
            [INDENT]( Select * from Table1 [/INDENT][INDENT]Except [/INDENT][INDENT]Select * from Table2)[/INDENT]
            Union[INDENT]( Select * from Table2 [/INDENT][INDENT]Except [/INDENT][INDENT]Select * from Table1);[/INDENT]
            Thank you for your time.

Emile
            You are right! This happens if you write an answer before the first cup of coffee in the morning

Birgitta

Comment

One limitation of the Except/Union method, is because it only checks if an identical record exists in the other table, it does not handle duplicate rows.
              E.g. if Table1 contains 5 copies of the same row (100% identical, all fields) and Table2 contains one copy of that row, then the Except/Union method will show no differences.

Comment

Vectorspace, thanks for pointing that out - I've used this method and wasn't aware of this limitation. Will remember to compare record counts as well when using this method.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Comment

Overall row count would not help if, for example:
                  • fileA contains 5x of record A and 1x of record B,
                  • fileB contains 1x of record A and 5x of record B
                  Both files contain 6 rows, and both contain at least 1 of each type of record.
                  I think to achieve a true comparison, you would have to calculate a count per distinct row value:

Code:
                  (select <all fields, individually specified>, count(*) from fileA group by <all fields, individually specified>
                  union
                  select <all fields, individually specified>, count(*) from fileB group by <all fields, individually specified>)
                  except...
                  I checked, group by must be an explicit column list, it cannot be *

Of course if the table has a unique key, then there cannot be duplicate rows so the standard compare will work fine.

Comment

If you're trying to compare 2 tables by distinct row value, couldn't you just use

Code:
                    SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(*)
                    FROM FileA
                    UNION
                    SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(*)
                    FROM FileB
                    EXCEPT...
                    to achieve the same effect?
                    My bad, that wouldn't fix the comparison on the number of duplicate rows.
                    Last edited by eloiselle; March 4, 2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X