STRSQL Alternative Input Screen ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STRSQL Alternative Input Screen ?

I can use STRSQL to bring up a green screen SQL window, but it's clunky and not very flexible.
    What software or tools are available to let me run queries, but have a more modern interface, not green screen ?

I am new at a company, so don't have any authority to buy tools.

The most obvious choice would be ACS https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ib...ient-solutions and use the Run SQL scripts option. There are multiple examples provided in the tool.

Most other database tools also work. IBM's Data Studio for example and dBeavcr to name two that I have used. And of course there is database tooling available in RDi which many of us use for RPG etc.

Comment

I agree with JonBoy, IBM Access Client Solutions is THE SQL client to be using instead of STRSQL. You get a ton of additional functionality (setup multiple environments, and easily switch between them, explain plans, SQL by example, graphical debugger, schemas, along with Window-esque copy/paste).

The other free alternatives that I've used are SQuirreL (stand alone) and Dbeaver (plug in for Rational Developer). Both use JDBC to connect to the IBM i and are excellent alternative SQL clients.

Comment

Is this the ACS you mean ?
        https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledg...jracsintro.htm

We're on iSeries 7.2
        Is there a cost for ACS ?
        I am new at this company, and they seem happy without modern tools, but I would like to be able to run queries in a MS SQL Server Management Studio type window.

(Edited to clarify)
        Last edited by MFisher; December 23, 2019, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MFisher View Post
          Is this the ACS you mean ?
          IBM i Access Client Solutions is a key offering in the IBM i Access Family. It offers a powerful set of capabilities for connecting PCs to IBM i.

We're on iSeries 7.2
          Is there a cost for ACS ?
          I am new at this company, and they seem happy without modern tools, but I would like to be able to run queries in a MS SQL Server type window.
          Yes, that's iACS. I think your company has to own the product, but since it includes the 5250 client I imagine you have it.

Another FOSS option is SQuirreL:
          SQuirreL SQL is an open-source Java SQL Client program for any JDBC compliant database

Both are GUI options. I assume by "MS SQL Server type window" you mean MS SQL Server Management Studio. How similar the options are is subjective, so I can't really comment.

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post

I assume by "MS SQL Server type window" you mean MS SQL Server Management Studio.
            Yes. I'm not terribly picky. I find the STRSQL screen so clunky, that anything graphical is probably an improvement.
            It would be nice to see Libraries & files listed in a pane, similar to how SQL tables are listed for each database in MSSQL Mgt Studio.

Whichever tool is the least hassle to convince my boss to let me install is probably a priority.

Comment

I assume you have 5250 client. Do a Help->About. What does it show? Does it show something like "Personal Communications" or "Emulator"?

Comment

Originally posted by jtaylor___ View Post
                I assume you have 5250 client. Do a Help->About. What does it show? Does it show something like "Personal Communications" or "Emulator"?
                Personal Communications
                iSeries Access for Windows

Session Manager
                Version 6.0 for Windows

IBM Copyright 2009

Almost exactly like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Personal-Communications-iSeries-Access-for-Windows.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	152142
                Last edited by MFisher; December 23, 2019, 12:38 PM.

Comment

That's the obsolete client that iACS replaced. You should probably point out to your boss that you're depending on an obsolete product that is no longer supported by IBM.

In the old client, the database tools are included in "System i Navigator". Open programs on your PC and find the "IBM i Access for Windows" folder. Does it contain that program? If so, launch it. Alternatively you can run it directly with the cwbunnav command. Connect to your system and expand Databases. Right-click on your DB (usually the top entry beneath Databases) -> Run SQL Scripts. That will let you run queries.

Comment

There should be no extra licensing required if they are currently using the old PComm.

It is also worth pointing out that the latest Run SQL scripts in ACS has a LOT of prompting and other new features that were never added to the old Navigator.

Download and install ACS -m it is a good tool and IBM are adding features at a terrific pace

Comment

Thanks. I found Navigator and opened it. I see the library list. How can I change the LIBL to add/remove from view ?
                      It seems to default to the production LIBL, and I would prefer to only see DEV libraries.

Comment

I agree with JonBoy, definitely get iACS if you can. It sounds like all you'd need is IBM login.

Are you asking about the libraries listed under Schemas? If so, right-click Schemas->Select Schemas to Dispaly.

Comment

Thanks for the help, everyone.
                          I will start with Navigator, and see if I can get iACS

Comment

There's a 3rd-party tool called Surveyor by Linoma Software (which was purchased by Help Systems) that I really like. You can run and save SQL scripts, navigate the IFS, do file viewing/editing, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X