No announcement yet.

IBM i Access Client Solutions (ACS) Run SQL Scripts - Print/Display variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM i Access Client Solutions (ACS) Run SQL Scripts - Print/Display variable

Hi,

Is there an easy way to display/print a variable on the output of the IBM i ACS Run SQL Script screen?
    For having a quick check when writing a script it would very helpful to be able to display the content of a variable.
    E.g. in below script, I want to know the value of var_locks. I tried using PRINT var_locks but that does not work.

Code:
    BEGIN

-- DECLARE Variables

DECLARE lib_prefix1 VARCHAR(3);
    DECLARE var_locks INT;
    DECLARE var_flag VARCHAR(10);

----------------------------

-- Check Locks
    SET var_locks = 0;
    SET var_locks = var_locks + (SELECT count(*) FROM QSYS2.OBJECT_LOCK_INFO WHERE SYSTEM_OBJECT_SCHEMA = 'LIBA' AND SYSTEM_OBJECT_NAME = 'FILE1' AND OBJECT_TYPE = '*FILE');
    SET var_locks = var_locks + (SELECT count(*) FROM QSYS2.OBJECT_LOCK_INFO WHERE SYSTEM_OBJECT_SCHEMA = 'LIBB' AND SYSTEM_OBJECT_NAME = 'FILE2' AND OBJECT_TYPE = '*FILE');
    SET var_locks = var_locks + (SELECT count(*) FROM QSYS2.OBJECT_LOCK_INFO WHERE SYSTEM_OBJECT_SCHEMA = 'LIBC' AND SYSTEM_OBJECT_NAME = 'FILE3' AND OBJECT_TYPE = '*FILE');

IF (var_locks > 0) THEN
    SET var_flag = 'LOCKS';

ELSE
    SET var_flag = 'NOLOCKS';

END IF;

>-- Code for check var_locks contents here <--

END;

You can use LPRINTF to write the value of a variable into the job log, then look at the job log from the View menu.

SQL is the one tool I cannot work without. Take it away from me and I’ll start driving a truck for a living. Naturally I’m eager to find more ways to make SQL work for me. Today I’d like to share how I recently used SQL to write a huge CL command for me. This

Comment

Hi Ted, thanks for your reply. However LPRINTF is not found in library systools. Is there really no other way?

Comment

There may be an easier way, but this is one way:
        Code:
        [I]DROP TABLE IF EXISTS session.locks;
        DECLARE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE session.locks (locknum int);[/I]

BEGIN

-- DECLARE Variables

DECLARE lib_prefix1 VARCHAR(3);
        DECLARE var_locks INT;
        DECLARE var_flag VARCHAR(10);

----------------------------

-- Check Locks
        SET var_locks = 0;
        SET var_locks = var_locks + (SELECT count(*) FROM QSYS2.OBJECT_LOCK_INFO WHERE SYSTEM_OBJECT_SCHEMA = 'LIBA' AND SYSTEM_OBJECT_NAME = 'FILE1' AND OBJECT_TYPE = '*FILE');
        SET var_locks = var_locks + (SELECT count(*) FROM QSYS2.OBJECT_LOCK_INFO WHERE SYSTEM_OBJECT_SCHEMA = 'LIBB' AND SYSTEM_OBJECT_NAME = 'FILE2' AND OBJECT_TYPE = '*FILE');
        SET var_locks = var_locks + (SELECT count(*) FROM QSYS2.OBJECT_LOCK_INFO WHERE SYSTEM_OBJECT_SCHEMA = 'LIBC' AND SYSTEM_OBJECT_NAME = 'FILE3' AND OBJECT_TYPE = '*FILE');

IF (var_locks > 0) THEN
        SET var_flag = 'LOCKS';

ELSE
        SET var_flag = 'NOLOCKS';

END IF;

>-- Code for check var_locks contents here <--
        [I]INSERT INTO session.locks VALUES(var_locks);[/I]

END;

[I]SELECT * FROM session.locks;[/I]

Comment

Working...
        X