Bummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummer

Dear friends, looks like I've been laid off. That's the real trouble with working on such a nice system, it just doesn't require that many administrators. Anyways, God willing I'll get another chance to work with it. So I was wondering what kinds of skills you would all like to see most on an applicant's resume for a system admin position (or really anything related). Would you please take the time to list some skills that would be most beneficial and any other helpful advice you might advise? Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the informality of this, I've had a few drinks

Re: Bummer

Sorry to hear that... and i hope you find something new soon.
    Regards

Kit
    http://www.ecofitonline.com
    DeskfIT - ChangefIT - XrefIT

Comment

Rick just started a new job near you a while back, send your CV to his old employer - they're down a body ...
      Greg Craill: "Life's hard - Get a helmet !!"

Comment

I would expect a system admin i would hire to have mad server skills as well as iseries.
        The two environments have so merged over the past few years that large barbed wire fence
        that in the past seperated them has changed to a faded thin light grey line....

Sorry for current situation, use it for the best...
        Let us know if you need anything

Jamie
        All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
        and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

First loosing the job is really sad ...

but what I never understand companies complain the cannot get staff for system i ... and on the other hand a lot of sysem i guys who lost their jobs could not fin a new one.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll find a new job soon.

Birgitta

Comment

you do any programming at all? (more specifically RPG with some ILE??) if so i just got an email from a friend of mine (my only headhunter!) looking for 4 folks for a 4 month contract in Nashville, TN.
            I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
              you do any programming at all? (more specifically RPG with some ILE??)
              Sadly, my old shop was strictly java and COBOL. We were EXPRESSLY forbidden from using RPG.

Comment

Do you perform COBOL programming? (ouch ... it hurts asking that question)

We have a COBOL shop here (almost exclusively .. but, I'm here now and they can't say that anymore! )

Comment

A traitor! String him up! (LOL)

Comment

Do you know how to administer Websphere Application Server? There's a company here in Memphis that's needed that position filled for a while.
                    Michael Catalani
                    IS Director, eCommerce & Web Development
                    Acceptance Insurance Corporation
                    www.AcceptanceInsurance.com
                    www.ProvatoSys.com

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelCatalani View Post
                      Do you know how to administer Websphere Application Server? There's a company here in Memphis that's needed that position filled for a while.
                      I'm afraid not. That was handled by another group within our company.

I have only cursory experience with COBOL, mostly java work.

Comment

- BRMS
                        - Some kind of mirroring technology, like DataMirror
                        - ability to implement and manage EIM/SSO using LDAP or Active Directory
                        "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

...continued.
                          - LPAR administration
                          "Time passes, but sometimes it beats the <crap> out of you as it goes."

Comment

If you've been working mostly on Java then could you not look at jobs on any platform? Java being platform independent and all. There are more Java jobs than anything else, with the possible exception of .net.
                            Ben

Comment

With COBOL and JAVA .. you'd fit right in here ... but, you'd have to suffer and live in the Valley of the Sun!

It's a rough 80 degrees here today, Sunshine, Blue Sky ...

Comment

Working...
                              X