Blizzard of '78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard of '78

For those of you in New England, you know that the Blizzard of '78 was THE storm of the century.

Today celebrates the 35th anniversary of the storm (day 2).

I'm old enough to remember it (from a child's perspective) - but there are many here who weren't even born yet.

Not sure how long the link above will work - but enjoy photos while you can.

Think about this the next time you complain about having a lousy ride home...

Re: Blizzard of '78

I have a booklet put out by the newspaper about the storm of '78. I remember it well. It was actually January 26, 1978 when It started.

Went to work and it was fairly warm, above freezing. Then within an hour the mecury droppped like a rock and it started to snow and didn't stop for a few days. We lost power for 2 days. Used a NG burner connected to the water heater gas line to cook in the basement. The furnace may not have had a blower but when we left the filter door open it was able to generate and flow enough heat throughout the house, well kept us above zero and kind of comfortable with sweaters.

Pics from the booklet will follow.
    Last edited by Billw; February 6, 2013, 03:07 PM.
    Bill
    "A good friend will bail you out of jail,
    A true friend would be sitting beside you saying,
    'Wow, that was fun.'"

Comment

Showing the severe weather changes throughout the day. The temp dropped from a high of +3c at 3am with winds at 59k/h to -12c at 11 am with winds gusting to 101k/h
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	126618

Shows the army reserves came out with personnel carries to help stranded motorist. Roads were impassible but farmers made lots of money plowing.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	126619

Ahh memories.
      Last edited by Billw; February 7, 2013, 06:33 AM.
      Bill
      "A good friend will bail you out of jail,
      A true friend would be sitting beside you saying,
      'Wow, that was fun.'"

Comment

I "lucked out" in that storm. It was my first business trip .... to Florida. The Hartford airport (bradley) was shut down and at that time if your carrier couldn't fly you out they put you up in a hotel and fed you....all on their dime.

When i did get out everything here was cleared.

GLS
        The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity.....Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I was 13 give or take and most likely loved it!
          Let it snow, Let it snow!
          All my answers were extracted from the "Big Dummy's Guide to the As400"
          and I take no responsibility for any of them.

www.code400.com

Comment

You may get your wish I heard on the news that there may be up to 30" coming to MA and RI soon.

Comment

If it snows in Texas, I'm moving to Florida!

www.code400.com

Comment

I remember it well. I was working for a beer wholesaler near Worcester, Mass at athe time. As the snow got worse, they pulled the drivers off the road, then sent them and female workers home. An hour or two later, sent everyone else home. By then, the snow was coming way too fast for the plows. I only lived about 6 miles away, but it took 2+ hours to get home. When the snow stopped. my little Mazda RX3 was completely covered - only the antenna sticking up. Maybe I should've stayed at work. No beds, but several thousand cases of beer and wine !

Comment

Save the women and children...I will stay and protect the Beer, Wine and Spirits!!!!

www.code400.com

Comment

Working...
                  X