WDSC version 7.0.0 on Win 7 64-bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDSC version 7.0.0 on Win 7 64-bit

The developers in my firm just got new laptops with Win7 (64bit flavor). The last free version of WDSC is not supported by IBM but they do have a web page offering up both suggestions as well as their most sincere wishes that it works for you as they do not officially support the product on that OS. (In other words, do not call them with your problems.) I have not reproduced their web page here but you can readily find it using Google or your own favorite search site.

I was able to get it to work following their directions. But, I have had to start up the application by right clicking on it and running the application as the administrator. Running it as myself did not work. This is likely to be an issue with a corporate computer where the local user is not the administrator. The error I got prior to running it as the administrator referred to some type of Java failure. And, yes I am a local administrator on the PC but not "the administrator".

So far I have added a few filters to two different connections and verified that things are working in those filters. I can view and edit source. Tomorrow, I will start up the application without using the run as administrator option to see if that step was only necessary for initialization. I will post up those results once tested.

This was a brand new install and not an upgrade over either Vista or XP.

I will update this thread with any other tips I pick up as I attempt to get my new laptop as productive as my older PC.

If you have any relevant information to aid myself, or others, on getting the free version of WDSC running on Windows 7 feel free to add it to this thread. I for one would certainly appreciate any offered help.

Steve

Re: WDSC version 7.0.0 on Win 7 64-bit

if that doesn't work in Win 7 you can set it to always run as administrator...right-click on the icon and select properties and on the compatibility tab check the Run this program as an administrator and just for kicks simply setting it to run in Win XP compatibility mode may work.
    Attached Files
    I'm not anti-social, I just don't like people -Tommy Holden

Comment

Re: WDSC version 7.0.0 on Win 7 64-bit

Today I was able to start WDSC without using the "Run as Administrator" option. Apparently, this was only required the first time to get the environment initialized.

If I discovery anything else about this, the last free version offered by IBM, I will be sure to pass it along here.

Steve

Originally posted by tomholden View Post
      if that doesn't work in Win 7 you can set it to always run as administrator...right-click on the icon and select properties and on the compatibility tab check the Run this program as an administrator and just for kicks simply setting it to run in Win XP compatibility mode may work.

Comment

Working...
      X