ibmi-brunch-learn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick way of opening a specific library/file in the Object table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick way of opening a specific library/file in the Object table?

One of the things where I think green screen is better than RDi is PDM vs RSE/Object Table

Because, typing WRKOBJPDM LIBRARY, or WRKMBRPDM FILE, is so much quicker than drilling down the RSE, or clicking into the Object Table's menu to get into Work With -> Objects/Members
    (and even quicker if you create a shorthand version like WOP LIBRARY or WMP FILE)
    Aprticualrly for us as we have a lot of libraries, all with a lot of objects in them

Is there a quicker way? A keyboard shortcut, or some kind of command?

Put in filters to only show the objects you are interested in.The when you open the link you have just the objects you are interested in? You have multiple filters over the same library for different objects. When using the links you can any that you are not using collapsed so the objects are not shown just the filter (name it so you know what under it). Getting a list of objects in PDM is not the same as PDM, if you use PDM for the object list you are then tied to using PDM to edit, compile etc the objects....

Chris...

Comment

I still find that green screen is quicker but what works decent is CTRL Shift A to open a member. You can fill in your library file and member. If you put a partial name and an * in any of the options and click browse it will create a filter based on the criteria that allows for quicker drill down.

I still find my self searching and browsing on the green screen though. Once found it is quick to use the shortcut to just open that specific program.

Comment

Sorry, I should have clarified. I do use filters for commonly accessed source files, but we have so many source files in so many libraries that often it can be quite arbitrary which file I want, which makes filters slower to use.

jj_dahlheimer - thanks for the Ctrl-Shift-A tip, that's useful.

Comment

Working...
        X